borrowing a car seat from seven years ago?

my friend offered me her "very expensive" car seat/ stroller from seven years ago. it is in perfect condition and i am very touched by her generosity... but is it still safe? does anyone know of the website to figure that out?

mrsmostafa

Asked by mrsmostafa at 2:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope car seats expire and I believe that it is 5 years so tell her that you will have to pass and you can find that about anywhere. There is a date on the bottom of the seat and they say after the 5 years there can be damage because of normal use and the sun, the plastic and other parts weaken and are not as safe as when they were first made. I am sure that someone else can explain that better than I can.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm gonna get bashed for this one, but honestly I never bought in to the expiration crap with seats... Your car doesn't expire just because it's a few years old... If there is no damage to the seat, and the straps are still tight and strong, I have yet to find a good reason not to use it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i dont know WHY they expire but they do and i wouldnt take a chance
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No they are not safe at all. I have a friend who was in a car crash with her 6 month old daughter. She had a car seat that was 2 1/2 years past the expiration date. Her daughter was killed because her car seat split in half due to the temperature changes over the years. The police charged her with vehicular manslaughter. In some states it's illegal to use expired car seats.
    Over time heat and cold fluctuations, and time itself, can weaken the plastic and make it more likely to fail in a crash. I don't care what anyone says about it...it's not safe.Thank you for asking about it before using it. Just because you don't "buy into" some of the information that is given to you by manufacturers of a child product, doesn't mean you should disregard them.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Always go new with a car seat and check the manufacture date.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Plastic degrades over time. This is the main reason that car seats expire. It becomes brittle and more likely to break under stress. Whether or not anyone believes it, car seats expire and it is unsafe to use them after they have expired.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Carseats expire because what was SAFE in cars made 7 yrs ago with technology from 7 years ago ISNT safe in cars made today. The car seats we have today are safer because we learn more and more about the physics and dynamics of accidents and car seats adapt to the new knowledge.

NEVER use a used carseat, especially if you dont know it's history (has it been in an accident?)
    also
    NEVER use a carseat past its expiration date. The date is stamped on the back of the seat... if you CANNOT find the date, assume it is expired and do not use.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• AND as Krysta and 2wndrfl said Plastic degrades over time, after a few years it just is not as strong as when it was made. Leave a plastic cup in a hot car - cold car - hotcar for 7 years and tell me if it still looks like a cup.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i agree with wendy
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No TOO old! And ditto what Wendy said.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010