2 sick kids unde the age of 2...please help

i have a 8 month old daughter and a 20 month old son, and they have both had this nasty cold that is going around. it has lasted 2 weeks so far. they both have a cough, and congestion in their lungs that you can hear when they breathe. they both have a humidifier in their room and one of those vicks waterless vaporizers as well. they both get baby vicks on their chest and the bottom of thier feet. is there anything else i can do? i hate feeling like i can't make them better immediately! thanks

valbeasley

Asked by valbeasley at 2:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if they have a sinus infection or chest infections they need antibiotics. Have you been to a doctor to check that out? If you have then there is not too much else that you can do but wait it out.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• to after 7 to 10 days of a sickness its time to go to the doctor. a virus will run its course after about 5 to 10 days. they could have ear infections. when my kids where lil and had ear infections, they did not pull on their ears or put their fingers in their ears. when they had ear infections they would her runny noses, coughing and congestions.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would take them to the Dr, they could have ear infections like above, or RSV which would require breathing treatments. Either way it's been too long and I think you need to call the Dr. tomorrow.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• thanks all. i think thats what we're gonna have to do- they both have an appointment on friday but i dont know if i can wait 4 more days i just feel so nervous. the 20 month old went to the doctor about 2.5 weeks ago with a cough, she said she thought he had allergies and possibly an infection, so we got some allergy medication liquid he takes a half tsp a day, and then we had some amoxicillin (antibiotics) that he got for 10 days. little girl started to get sick so she got about 3 days worth too, before it all ran out. they seem to be a little better, but i think we will be calling the doctor to see if we can bump up their appt. to maybe tuesday or wednesday!
    valbeasley

Comment by valbeasley (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have three kids. My kids are grown or almost grown. My Daughters are close in age like yours are. They are now 20 years old, 18 years old and my Son is 16.

I would suggest that if they are not better by Monday call the doctor. Although now you have to take them to the doctor to get antibotics. when my kids were small I could just call the doctor and he would call something in. The Doctor was a personal friend to. You can try putting vicks on thier nostrills, chest, and under thier nose above thier lip. thats what I did.

redneckmom777

Answer by redneckmom777 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would not use Vicks, not even baby Vicks. It can be irritating to the nose, sinus, & lungs. I would rather use nothing than cause harm. Homedics makes a facial sauna that makes warm steam that can be very effective. It's much easier than taking kids in a steamy bathroom or shower. You can get them at Walgreens.

http://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-Facial-Refresher-Sauna-Inhaler/dp/B00009KGGG

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Hopefully you are giving some kind of childrens medicine for their fevers and help with the aches and pains, runny noses and all the other symptoms associated with a cold. That will also help them get better faster too. It's a lot of work when children are sick though.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If you don't think that you can wait for the doctor appointment, then you need to take them to an Urgent Care of After Hours Clinic or even the ER. Being sick for that long is not normal at all.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I agree thats not normal at all take them to the ER
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would NOT use vicks on a 8 m/o baby
    is the humidifier cool mist? It should be
    use a bulb to suck out their nose
    tylenol for fevers >100.4 rectal

and talk to you dr about using an OTC med like Clairatin for the congestion
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010