potty training

ok my son is 3 and ha will go pee in the potty buy not poo, and he will not go potty at daycare. At home we only put him in underwear. When he starts to he will stop himself . He does this all day long . how do I get him to go?

alwaysyoung

Asked by alwaysyoung at 3:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried using a prize for going, such as one m&M or jellybean? I am using a calendar showing the days my son is dry all day with the goal, a book he really wants, at the end, so that he can see his progress. It is working, but only after a week or so of accidents. After that he got the hang of it and does really well. At first he would not even sit on the potty, so I used the jellybeans (1 for sitting, 2 for pee, and 3 for poop). He initially whined and cried when I set him on the toilet, but after awhile stopped that (he was totally playing me since I saw he was fine with others). Since he is in daycare he may be trying to get your attention since he doesn't see you during the day. Do you have special time with him on a daily basis? All of these things might do the trick!
    Good luck.
    Kelle

Answer by Kelle at 5:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Have you tried Pedialax? Maybe he's constipated... It's a watermelon flavored tablet that gives them the "urge" to do. Rewards work wonders with my 4 yr old and it's okay to let him go in a pull-up as long as he's in the bathroom if he's scared to sit on the toilet. You can gradually work toward sitting on the toilet w/the pull-up on, then put the pull-up in the potty seat and then remove it all together. Make it a positive experience at all costs!
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• ok when my son was potty training he refused to poop on the potty he just did it in his undies and it was gross. After about a week he finally did it on his own he knew when I said does your tummy hurt and he said yes, we ran to the potty and finally he pooped. NOw my hubbys brother went through something a bit different, he just stopped pooping. Everykid is different they will do what they want when they want to. The reward system I never used I dont think I should reward a kid for what is expected, they did get praise which my kids loved. If you talk to your day care and bring enough undies and change of clothes they should work with him on the potty training too.
    welchv84

Answer by welchv84 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2008