If you are given the chance to plan your own funeral

Would you rather it be a statement of yourself (like including music that is special to you but might offend someone else, or only including aspects of the service you like and leaving out traditional ones you don't), or would you rather it be more about comforting those left behind (like using music you are totally indifferent to, but is inoffensive or including traditional aspects you really don't like or agree with because other people will expect them)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Whatever my kids need. I don't care if they don't do anything...if that's what makes them comfortable. I don't really like the traditions that celebrate the death, because that freaks me out, but I'm pretty sure I won't care if I'm dead.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I've requested not to have a funeral. I don't see a point in them at all. I don't plan on having one for my husband (should be pass first) nor my mother - If my sister wants one for my mother, then it's up to her to deal with... Wakes are a big tradition in my Irish Catholic family, and I would simply assume there would be a wake, which to me is fine - and what I plan to do for my family when they pass... I see passing as a time to celebrate the life someone had, not a time to mourn our own loss. So, I would hope this would be the plan for my own passing... Our wakes usually include pictures and stories from that person's life as well as lots of great food and family time to celebrate the time we had with the passed person and to re-cement our connections to one another...

I hope this would be how things work for my passing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm to be cremated and then placed in the Ganges.. My husband as well.

But whatever other "pomp:" or whatever our son wants to toss in there he is free to do. But knowing my son (based on who he is as a person right now) I would say he's going to go for very traditional Hindu and Sikh services for the two of us.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i have planned my funeral an wake..lol
    when i pass..i told my SO an kids that i dont want one..just creamte me..throw my ash off a bridge that way i can say i walked over a high bridge an wasnt afraid..lol
    an my wake i want them to throw a big big cookout an party..all my fave foods,an desserts..i dont drink or smoke thats their op if they come to the cookout....since i love to see ppl partying an having a good time..thats how i want them to have that regardless of me being dead..no crying,sad songs,or faking falling out..if u knew me,,then u know that im bout love an joy thats how i want it when im dead...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 2:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I want mine to emulate who I was in life. I'd want music played that is music I enjoyed in life. For instance, I want I'll Cover You from Rent played as well as Come What May from Moulin Rouge. I don't care if it's offensive to everyone else. My funeral portrays who I was in life.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I fully agree with SabrinaMBowen......I'm totally Irish, I will be cremated, and I want them to sit around and have fun remembering the crazy things I've done, my words of wisdom, what ever is happy. I know I'll be happy so let them be. Oh and of course have a beer.....

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We have planned what we want. We are both to be cremated. His ashes are to be scattered at sea off a navy ship. Mine are to be scattered at a private, secret location that is precious to me. We don't believing in sitting at gravesides mourning the carcass that housed the soul. The person is not there anymore. Neither is the soul with our ashes. It doesn't matter they will be in different places. Our beliefs are such that our souls will be together and thats what counts. If my children desire to have a celebration of life ceremony that's fine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have already made many of my wishes known. I want to be cremated and my ashes given to my children to do with as they want. I am Irish, so I want a wake, a celebaration of my life. Lots of laughter, food, stories told, reminiscing, singing, and drink. The song I have picked out so far is called "Going Away Party". It speaks of the day that I waited for is finally here, the one that I loved, (my Jesus) wants me by His side, we are going to have a going away party! And that is exactly what I want it to be!!!!!!
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 3:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• wow a lot of Irish.. I have a lot of irish but most are Christian and most on my dad's side did the funeral and wake thing.. Forget it... I want a party! A celebration of who I am and that I am happily with the Lord of Glory! I would love several people to share who I was and how I touched lives! As for my body... I haven't decided ... I am torn between being buried and being burned.
    I want Christian songs of joy and just a lot of joy and laughter and reminiscing the good things in my life.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't want a funeral.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010