Anybody like fruitcake? Have you ever had any that was good?

My grandmother made fruitcake and poured Brandy all over it like she was marinating it. I never ever ate fruitcake before but I bet with brandy it really helps the taste. Love to hear your thoughts on this one.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My grandmother didn't use spirits but she did uses apple cider (not hard cider). She made them weeks in advance and wrap them in cheesecloth. Once a week she would pour some cider over the cakes and then cover them again an put back in the tins. Her fruitcake was incredible. I've never tasted any as good as hers.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Funny--my DH and I were just talking about holiday baking and he said as long as he gets his fruit cake-nothing else matters. We all have a certain something special that we like. I like fruit cake too. And I have had some really good ones and most not so good.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have this theory... In reality there is only one fruit cake... it's been around since the beginning of time and we just keep giving it away... No one has ever really tried the stuff! lol

Honestly, I've never had the opportunity to try it, I've never known anyone that tried it or that admitted to trying it anyways... Really, I'm not sure I would try it even if I had the chance, it just doesnt look like something I would like

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My SIL had a wonderful recipe for fruitcake. You made it 6 weeks in advance and wrapped it in cheesecloth that you had soaked in Mogon David Grape wine. Every week with a pastry brush you would lightly moisten the cloth again with more wine. It didn't have any of the citrus fruit in it, only the candied pineapple and cherries, tons of nuts, real butter and OMG my mouth is watering thinking about it. I have to get that recipe again, lol!!!!
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 2:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• 2 secrets to fruitcake:
    1: more fruit, less cake
    2: don't use the candied bright orange and green fruit from the store, use natural dried and/or preserved fruit

The alcohol is the main ingredient of the recipe, OP. The point of fruitcake was that it was well preserved in alcohol so it would last longer instead of going stale and moldy like any normal bread or cake would. The alcohol you choose does make a difference to. If you go cheap, the taste will be harsher.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I love fruitcake, even the cheap ones. I don't have a particular recipe or type that I can think of.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have actually never had fruit cake... never had the chance to.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 8:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My Mom made one with gumdrop candies in it instead of the candied fruits. It was pretty good
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:45 AM on Sep. 30, 2010