please help

i am 39 weeks and 1 day today..i went to the doctor today and i am still 2cm..

i have tried walking and baths but nothing is helping me..

i am in alot of pain and they wont do anything for me until i am 4cm...

any ideas on how i can speed thing up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Your not to your due date yet- so try thinking about it this way- the baby may need these few extra days inside to be ready to come outside. I understand its uncomfortable at the end- I have 2 kids, I've been there, BUT deal with the discomfort as best you can, it will be a distant memory when you are happily holding your new healthy baby soon. Hang in there : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• There was just another question on here liek this last week and you're going to get a bunch of replies that tell you to do nothing. That you should let nature run its course. That you're baby will come when they are ready... and yes to an extent all that is true but as you are already "laboring" I see no issue with giving you some suggestions even if it gets me bashed.
    Sex, lots of sex with internal ejaculation AS LONG AS YOUR WATER IS STILL INTACT. If that water breaks no hanky panky. At all.
    Walk, I know you've probaly been walking but walk more.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Warm showers, spicy foods. You will hear a lot of castor oil, but that sometimes only ends in painful diarrhea with no labor induction, so that is kinda up to you. Once you are dilated, they recommend against sex, so there goes that! good luck
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• sex helps some.

some people say to eat spicy food.

personally, IMO you should just wait for nature to take it's course. your body is getting ready for a major ordeal, you don't want to speed that up too much and then your body not be really ready for it.

gravity works, so I am really into the walking part. go shopping :) it's fun and you have to walk a lot but you have shopping to keep you occupied and your mind off of any pain you are in.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Bouncing and squatting. I found squatting with my knees apart and gently buncing seemed to make gravity work with me a little more.
    Housework./ I know you're uncomfortable and chores are the last thing you want to be doing but things like laundry and loading and loading the dishwasher just seem to help things progress, I believe it has something to do with the bending and all that...
    Let me know if anything helped.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• thanks everyone for your help..

im not sure if spicy food will work cause my sister in law ate it all the time and she went 2 almost 3 weeks over due
    Anonymous

• LOL :) spicy food doesn't work for all :) I ate hot banana peppers and all I got was heart burn :)

tat2edmommmy's advice of squatting and bouncing is a good one too. get a yoga ball and sit and bounce. many women actually do this in the labor and delivery room to help speed things up.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• what if i dont have a ball? will something else work
    Anonymous

• you can squat without the ball, I just found that the ball helps keep me from falling over :) they sell them at walmart :) so take the shopping advice and go get one
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• oh ok...
    i will try it..
    Anonymous