How do I get my one year old to try feeding himself

My LO is having a hard time learning to chew and feed himself. If we give him a cracker he will put it to his mouth and try to eat. He also will gum garlic bread crusts....My problem is he will not put small things to his mouth. Like the Gerber puffs...He just plays with them. He doesn't get the concept of putting the food in his mouth unless it's one big piece of something. He also spits anything out that has any substance to it. Any suggestions??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is taking baby food then hand him a spoon and let him have at it! It will be a mess- but so cute so take pictures : ) As for the puffs- I would wet them a little at first so they where super mushy, also try small cut pieces of cooked veggies, peas and carrots are great first finger foods.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008