Does anyone have children that are extremely tall for their age?

My son is 4 and is the size of an average 8 year old. In the last couple of months he has been extremely tired because of how fast he is growing. Does anyone else have a similar situation with one, or more than one of their children?

canuck79

Asked by canuck79 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My SS is in the 98% percentile for height, but closer to the 68% for weight. He is almost 7, but looks about 10. he is the tallest in his class, the tallest in his tball team, always has been. His BM has a friend's son that is nearly 11 and about an inch shorter. But my husband is 6'6" and BM is 5'10". He isn't tired a lot, but he eats non stop. He has a really high metabolism and the doctors say he will most probably develop some blood sugar disorders as he ages.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My daughter is 4 and looks like she is 6 or 7. She's been in the 95th percantile or above since she was born for height...
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My son is going to be 5 in Feb. and he has always been in the 90th percentile for height.  He is almost into a size 6 pants, but the waist isway to big.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• All 3 of my girls are expected to be at least 6 ft tall. My seven year old is only 1 ft shorter than me.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I was 5'4" when I was eight. I finally stopped growing at ten, at my final height of 5'6". People always thought I was older than I was, lol. I have a feeling my daughter will grow up really fast as well.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My 2.5 year old toddler is wearing 6x & some are too short! She has been on this path over the 100% since about 10 months. It is difficult for me to see just how much bigger she is then others! I worry, only because kids can be so cruel....I am proud that she is equally bright! It really make me wonder what has happened to us from all the processing & hormones that I have consumed. It could be possible that it has caused some serious changes! What cracks me up is that her grandparents on his side ar Japanesse & hawaiian with a few others but they are obviosly not tall for the most part. I know that I can hardly keep the right size clothes & shoes in the house!
    Brismom08

Answer by Brismom08 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes, my son just turned 4 and has always been off the charts for height. He has slowed down a little bit lately, but still looks like he's about 6 (at least in terms of his height). It's really going to be hard for him, with an October birthday, being the oldest and the biggest (by far) in his class.
    Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My 14 yr old son is 6 ft. 2 in. tall, in contrast my almost 18 yr old son is only 5 ft. 8 in.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my 4 yr old looks 6 and my (almost 2 yr old) is the size of a 4 yr old. They are both in the 90th percentile and both are very skinny. i have to get the adjustable waist band pants and sometimes that still doesn't hold them up.
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 1:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My 5 year old son is in the 98th percentile for height and 48th for weight! He is extremely tall for his age. People ask me all the time if he is 7 or 8. I get a little frustated sometimes when he is acting his age because he looks so much older than that. I have the hardest time finding clothes for him. If I get shirts long enough they look HUGE on him. He wears a 7/8 shirt. If I find pants long enough I need to make sure they have adjustable waist because they literally fall down his heiny! He wears a size 7 for pants. Crazy!! I remember being 6 and wearing a 6x. Not my boy though! :-) My daughter is the exact same way. She is in the 93rd percentile for height. She has only gotten into this percentile in the last 2 years though. My son has been upper 90's since he was about 2 months old. I guess it runs in the fam, but they didn't get it from me!! I'm 5"!!
    2lilshamrocks

Answer by 2lilshamrocks at 8:37 AM on Oct. 23, 2008