Young marriage

What is your opinion on young marriage if there is a child involved? How young is too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• it completly depends on the age and the maturity of the indivduals. In my experience tho many people who get married too young find themselves resenting their SO and themselves for limiting their time as a teenager. Just beacuse you have a baby young does not mean you have "found yourself". I would only reccomend marying young if it has ben your lifes goal to get married and have babies AND you have been with this person for an extended amount of time. I read somewhere that one of lifes greatest lessons involves being engaged for at least a year and I think it is very sage advice.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My MIL was 17 with a two year old when she met my FIL and they got married!
    Beccah2

Answer by Beccah2 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I don't have a problem with young marriage if it's for the right reason like love. I don't think they should get married just because of pregnancy/children.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My opinion is that two people should never get married just because of a child. As for what is too young, it depends on the maturity of the child. Some children that are 18 are still too immature to marry. On the other hand there are some very mature and responsible 18 year olds.

I would suggest that the youngster attend marriage classes for 6 months to a year to help them to make the best choice for themselves and their child.
    tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• First off it really depends but getting married should not be forced because you have a child with someone, yes you should really think about marriage but that's not what makes you a good parent so make sure it's what will be best and makes you happy as well.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• oh and for the age part if you really want to get married and your young I think that's fine but I would hope your at least 18 or damn close to it! :) I was married at 19. Good luck!
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The divorce rate is much higher for those who marry under the age of 26. So getting married at a young age is not all that smart. Try telling that to someone under the age of 26 they think they know everything. They will learn the hard way I just feel for the kids.  They pay for mom and dad making bad decisions.

Anonymous

• the divorce rate may be higher but everyone knows there are tons of people who get married when older and still get divorced and there are people who got married when really really young and are celebrating 50 and 60th anniversary's so I don't think people should shoot down young marriage when it's everyone getting divorced no matter what the age. Everyone is different. You do what you feel is right, and what works for you and your family and loved ones.
    Anonymous

• anything before 21 i think? especially when kids are involved and you were not married before hand then you got married cause of the baby. this almost always never works out. i think at a young age it's hard to know what you want or really like cause you haven't lived long enough or dated long enough to know what is out there. it's hard knowing what you want and need when you are older so even more so true when your younger. you change so much after the age of 18.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree. My husband and I have been best friends since the 7th grade and gone to school together since the 5th grade. We didn't get married until we were 20 and 21 years old and our oldest child was 3 years old. We have been married for a little over 7 years now and are still going strong. We've got 4 children now and our planning our next one. So I have to say that it completely depends on the individuals. I fully anticipate celebrating my 50th anniversary with my hubby in the next few decades. And many more after that!!!
    Anonymous