DS has started putting stuff in the toilet...not meant to be in there!

He dunks toys in there, this morning he put one of SO's shoes in there (hilarious but at the same time it wasnt). He's been learning for a few months now so he knows better. I dont want to put a lock on the toilet or close the door because he likes to be independant and go on his own. Plus the cat litter box is in there lol. advice? SO gave him a time out this morning for the shoe incident.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They make those toilet 'locks' for things like that + to keep them from accidently drowning.
    A friend of mine has one on her comode. Its a latch-type lock :)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 2:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• you can duck tape the toilet ... My boys use to do that but after telling them that isn't where toys go they stopped GL
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Put a lock on the toilet and get him a little potty (if by independence you mean he is using the toilet to go to the bathroom). Time outs don't stop bad behavior or teach good behavior, especially in a 1 yo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Could be costly for you. Put a small hook lock on the top of the door.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• he's 2.5 not 1. Oh and he has a little potty AND uses the toilet with a potty ring. I'll check out the toilet locks next time i'm at the store.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It's kind of hard to put a lock on your toilet and rely it will stay on with a 4yo who uses it and won't put it back on, and a 3yo who uses it, and is a little big for a potty chair but still finds himself playing in the toilet......this morning hubby had to get tools to pull out a spoon and a toilet paper roll that someone tried to flush. It's not that simple. I am just working on teaching him about germs, and setting consequesnces for playing in the toilet. I also do my best to makse sure I know where my kids are at all times.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• one time my kids filled the toilet up with my socks underwear and a bra....it was heaping full....boy was I pissed that day! I dont remember what happened that day so long ago, but I do know that they have never done anything to the potty since! :) good luck mama
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010