I see many people complain that black people are only voting for Obama because he is black. How is this different from military people voting for Mccain because he has been in the military?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It isnt.

Its like picking someone because they have nice shoes.
    Anonymous

• Because Black is an ethnicity that guarantees nothing, while time served in the military is a very valuable experience. Being black does not mean you have necessarily learned any special lessons (especially when raised by white grandparents), but being in the military does mean that you have learned about how our national defense system functions.
    Anonymous

• Anon 3:58 You are a crack up!!! Too funny!!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Obama is not "black". He is biracial. There are some black people voting AGAINST Obama because he is half white. To say that Black people vote for Obama because they think he is "black" is ridiculous. It is equally ridiculous to say that military people vote for McCain because he is a veteran. My husband is a soldier and MOST of HIS SOLDIER friends are voting for Obama...yes, even the white ones.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think race and military status are different....and it's just dumb to vote for anyone for either one of those reasons and those reasons only.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the anon that said that being black does not better qualify you to be a president but military expierence and expierence with how national security works does. Until this election it was required that president elects have military expierence and background in order to run for office.
    Anonymous

• they are voters on either side that will vote for their candidate for a wide variety of reasons.
    who really cares? i sure don't. it's your vote, do with it what you will.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• At least McCain being in the military makes him somewhat more qualified to handle foreign affairs and homeland security.
    Anonymous

• Someone being in the military doesnt guarantee you anything either.

You shouldnt be looking at that on its own...which I think was the point of the question.

People are dumb...they will vote because of one little detail.

I personalyl don't think being in the military is necessarily a good trait from the people I have met - but I would never use that for the basis of my vote.
    Anonymous

• Touch'e Heatherama! Excellent point!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2008