Shouldn't my baby be rolling over by 5 month old?

my son is almost 5 months old and doesn't roll over. he rolls onto his sides occasionally,but doesn't really show interest in going all the way. he hates being on his tummy and cries within a minute. he also weighs 21lbs and is 29 inches long. i don't know if his size stops him.

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• every baby is different. I would try putting some of his favorite toys to one side to make him reach. If he does look at them try placing him on his side, for him, and let him do the rest. Eventually he will build up his muscles to roll over. He might even be laid back, there is nothing wrong with that. :) Also try having him sit up by placing a boppy behind him for support just incase he tips over. :)
    MOMSART

Answer by MOMSART at 3:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My pediatricion told me to give my dd some excercise's 5 min a day by putting her on her tummy. Even if it's a minute a couple of time's a day it's fine. He need's to get tummy time to strengthen he's neck and back. I don't think any baby like's to be on there tummy but you should try.
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• every baby reaches goals at different ages. if you're concerned about it ask his dr. he should be able to reasure you that he's fine. he's probably just happy laying there.he'll move when he wants to.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree with the three posters above me! The fact that he's so big might have a little something to do with it, too. From babies I've been around, it seems like the bigger ones move a little slower...

Whatever, as long as they all get to the same place eventually, it doesn't matter. : )
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008