For the devout Christians:

Would disown your family members if they told you they no longer believed in God? Why or why not?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 3:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. My second son is an atheist. My daughter is a Buddhist. My other children are Christians. I could care less what they believe as long as live a moral and happy life.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 6:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No because God says to Love one another. He never said to only love those who fit into your exact little box of how people should be. I can love them and support them with out being happy about their choice or forcing anything on them. Sometimes the best way to be a witness is to be accepting and NOT push.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• no..why would i disown someone i don't 'own' in the first place? everyone has to make up their own mind whether they believe or not. i won't be the one to cause family division over someone's choices..i'll still go to their baby shower, weddings, 'like' their page on FB, etc.
    i won't walk on eggshells around them, either...meaning, if the subject of a church activity or sermon/etc came up in convo at a family get-together, i wouldn't expect anyone to shut up, just because she's present. i'd expect them not to attack her (i'm thinking of one person in particular), but she's a big girl and fully capable of holding her own. (she'd fit in here on CM! lol!) i often tend to take up sides with the underdog or loner in most situations, naturally, so i'd probably be the one defending her..or at least telling everyone else to shut up.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, I wouldn't disown them. I'd continue praying for them and I'd continue talking to them about God. But however sad their choice makes me it's still their choice. God gives everyone that choice. You can't make it to heaven on someone else's coat tail.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No. I would continue to pray for them and love them in spite of it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Nope... and I have a husband on that path right now.. He is divorcing me... his choice.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• NO! Family is family! I have family that are Atheist and most of them are my friends on FB as is many of my other family members.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I asked this question because my mother had a hard time accepting that I was leaving the Christian path. When she told her mother about it, she said that I would have been disowned and kicked out of her home.

It makes me happy to know that it's not always this way.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Definitely not. I can't turn love of like a switch just because someone has chosen something that I wouldn't.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2010