How do you get a 2 1/2 year old to eat

my daughter is a extremely picky eater she barely eats. the doctor says she looks fine but i dont thinks its okay for this to be happening

MarissaDavis29

Asked by MarissaDavis29 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to be firm. My DD is 2 and I have just started to let her have a cup at meal times. She would only drink and not eat. You have to stand firm. My 2 yo has one cup of milk and 2-3 cups of water a day depending on how much time she spends outside. She doesn't get juice unless it is a special occasion. I see no need for it. If my LO doesn't eat she doesn't get a snack, she gets the same meal she refused to eat. We have been this stern since she was 15 mos old. They will only go to bed hungry a few times before they figure it out. If your son is a grazer then you need to cut the snacks until you figure out how much he can eat and at what point. Some days my LO will ask for a snack at 4 and dinner is at 5 and I tell her no that she has to wait for dinner. I wish you luck.--I post this answer a few days ago for another mom.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Give her food at meal times only. Give her healthy foods that you want her to eat. She will eat when she gets hungry. If she doesn't eat at one meal time, it's pretty likely that she'll be hungry by the next. This is pretty common and I'm sure your doctor is right.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 3:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Put food in front of her and wait for her to eat it?

Try getting a muffin tin. Preferably a 12 slot one as opposed to a 6 slot one.
    Fill it with the following
    3 things you know she will eat for sure
    3 dips (hummus, nut butter, yogurt, etc)
    3 things you know she DOESN'T like
    3 things she has never never never had before
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010