Does anyone remember when childrens stories didn't always end with a happy ending?

This is something I never thought about until I bought a collection of childrens stories that it turns out were printed in 1953. Do you think it's good or bad to read stories that don't have a happy ending to you kids? Why or why not?

Lornamay

Asked by Lornamay at 4:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well, it does teach that life doesn't always have a happy ending. I know fairy tales have been sanitized over the years. Would I read the older versions to my daughter? I don't know. I read to escape, to go someplace different than the wold I live in. It's one of the reasons I don't watch conspiracy theory movies or TV shows - too much like real life.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• yep and I have a bunch. I think it's silly to read only stories that have happy endings. Sometimes everything doesn't work out in the end and that's a lesson that needs to be learned too.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 4:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You know what? Usually I'm a hard-bitten realist, but I think that there's nothing wrong with kids thinking that life's a good thing and that the future's nothing but rainbows, froot loops and playgrounds.

They're going to hit puberty eventually. They will realize that just because they think the cutest boy in class is TOTALLY the cutest boy in class doesn't mean that the cutest boy in class will like them back. They will realize that just because they want a Wii doesnt' mean they're getting it and they will realize that sometimes life sucks.

I don't think it needs to be their last thought before bedtime.

If they want to read those versions as they get older and more able to handle harder emotions, then I don't have any problem with it.

But I think bedtime stories, especially for kids under age 10 or 8, should give them happy dreams of what *could* happen. Not make them dread growing up. Ya know?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yes and sometimes I get sick of all the sugary endings. I love all the new educational shows, but the sugary, sweet, everything is alway lovely and nothing is ever bad shows just make me want to scream! And don't get me started on the Barbie movies!! (LOL can you tell my kids watch those way too much?)
    Anonymous

• Ok but have you ever watched Dumbo? The grown ups are soooo mean to him and he is crying and his mother has been separated from him and rocks him to sleep as he cries through the bars of a cage....for sobbing out loud who came up with this? It breaks my heart just to think about it. I think their are lessons to be learned in life and kids should know it does not always go their way, but there is soooo much hatred and violence and crap in this world they will discover soon enough...I see nothing wrong with sheltering them a bit...they are grown and gone before you know it.....Let them be little!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2008