could it be ADHA??

i have a 7 year old son who has to be constantly reminded to do everything...brush his teeth wash his face put dishes in the sink etc...it even goes as far as when we r eating he will none stop talk we ask him many times a meal to please be quite & eat even have to tell him how to sit on the chair EVERY time he sits at table...i have talked to his teacher & she said he is just fine...are these signs of ADHD??

hiswifey0725

Asked by hiswifey0725 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The problem with ADHD is that the symptoms could just be what a normal 7 year old would do. A hyper active child will nearly always have trouble sitting still. Are there activities that grab his complete attention. Can sit quietly and read a book, work through a puzzle or video game or watch an entire television program? If your teacher hasn't noticed anything I wouldn't be too worried just yet since school situations are often the most difficult because they know they must sit quietly. it could just be that he needs an outlet. Maybe an organized sport, or play time.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Good advice here from the Cafemoms! From what you are saying here, no, I do not immediately think ADD.

Boys come into the world hard wired for movement and noise. It is who they are momma.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It could but might not be. There is a criteria for ADHD you can look on line. There are six basic types of ADHD and criteria must be evident before age seven. But there is also something called auditory processing disorder. In a nutshell - information is heard but not processed leaving parents to think they are talking to a wall. If you think there is something going on, even slightly suspect, ask your child's doctor to take some time to refer a psychiatrist. The school also is supposed to offer, if you request in writing, a psychological evaluation that specifically evaluates the areas of concern. So if this were me and I had a concern I would go to my son's doctor, get a referral to a therapist who works with a psychiatrist, and write my request to the school to be tested for auditory processing and other related disorders. By the way auditory processing has a high correlation with ADHD.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:47 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• talk to his doctor. Teachers can't and shouldn't be making a diagnosis or even saying they think what it could be. You can also check out the web site CHADD.org If you give your child a strong caffeine drink does he calm down some, if so then he most likely has ADHD. I have it so do my 2 sons and my brother. ADHD tends to run in families. Some people get mild versions of it while other get more intense versions. Also kids who do have ADHD have minds that are going a mile a minute they are thinking of about 25 things at once and that tens to block out other stuff that they really need to be paying attention to. Also is he really really smart? if so that could also be a good sign that he does have it. G/L

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• at school he is in first grade birthday falls past the cut off date so he is a year behind technically ne how they have color codes green=good yellow=first repremand red=take away reccess & blue=principals office....out of 26 days this month he only has 5 green days the rest are yellow with three red days....everytime we ask him why he got a yellow or red day its cuz he talks to much and wont stay in his seat but yet the teacher still thinks he is fine im at a loss
    hiswifey0725

Comment by hiswifey0725 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think you have a normal boy. I would perhaps try to change his diet. No surgar, red drinks, etc, etc. And see if perhaps that helps. I was told my oldest one had ADD. And with the "symptons" he had, I could be diagnosed too..... I think Liansmommie is right, give him an outlet. Tire him out. He may just have too much energy. Good Luck~~
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 4:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think you have a normal boy. Try cutting out sweets, junk food, soda,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Does he have trouble with peer relationships? Explosive emotions? Trouble beginning or finishing tasks?

He needs more symptoms than just hyperactivity and inattentiveness.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010