Has anyone told your child he/she is going to hell?

This question is directed at non-Christian mommies in particular (hell being mostly a Christian concept in this country). I have taught religious education of all ages at a Unitarian Universalist church for several years and kids from 2nd to 8th grade in particular have all been upset by both adults and children telling them this. Someone here accused me of making this up (watching too many movies) - so... I'm sure I'm not the only one that lives in a place where this happens.

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No.. Because I do not believe in "Hell"...
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Not yet, but I know it will happen. I am a Christian (kind of), but I don't believe in hell. My husbands parents are very Christian, and very traditional Christians too, so even if they just tell them about the bible and stuff, they are going to end up being told they "might" go to hell...it's the whole basis of why Christians believe you need Jesus. I am prepared for it though, I will tell them what I believe about God, Jesus etc., and hopefully they will know in their hearts that God would never send his children to a fiery pit or eternal torment, and hopefully they will know that they can come to me and talk about it if someone ever says that to them.

Charmom2

Answer by Charmom2 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Well, As someone who does believe in Hell NOBODY better be saying ANYTHING along those lines to ANY child. How hurtful, scary and just plain wrong!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• my 5yo doesn't even know what Hell is, much less where or who or how or why.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Not in those words. He's in 2nd grade, and most of those kids aren't allowed to say the word "Hell" yet. They have told him people who aren't baptized will suffer forever. There were a lot of problems at our Unitarian church - they quit putting pictures of kids' events on their website because they were being harassed at school. That happened before DS was old enough for it to be an issue. To better answer your question - I spend a lot of time deprogramming him from the things he's told as "fact" from his public school classmates. I'm sure once they all get a little older and they are brave enough to cuss, telling him he's going to Hell will be added to that list of facts.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Depending on the maturity of the child, so I'm assuming we are talking about kids 14 and younger, no one should be telling children they are going to hell because it simply is not true. Until one reaches the age of understanding, they are safe should they die.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yes in the 3rd grade my grandson was told this and also told that he needed to be saved and right away...even got bibles mailed
    to him during the summer break with highlighted verses and with no return label on it.... needless to say we were NOT happy... and
    This coming from fellow classmates...
    Now being in the 4th grade these same children are in his class this yr and my Dh (a Christian) is ready to
    pounce if this happens again...
    I am Wiccan and we are raising our grandson with the knowledge of many beliefs.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yep.  When my oldest was in 1st grade one of her classmates asked her what church she went to.  When she said she didn't go to church the girl told her she was bad and her whole family was going to burn forever.

She came home in tears and had nightmares for a week.

I had kids tell me the same thing in school because I was baptized.  But I was like 8 or 9 and knew they were idiots for telling me that.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Awwww. Looky here. I am so flattered! Let's get your story straight, shall you. I will make my statement here.

I do not think it is a common practice for adults to tell children that they are going to hell. There ya go, hon. Have a great evening!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have a story as an answer. Once overseas I attended a fundamentalist charismatic church. I didn't care for it. My children were drawing pictures of Satan in Sunday School and being threatened with hell. We opted to go to an Episcopal church instead. One of the wives of the elders of the other church accosted me one day at the beach and was pressuring me about why we weren't going to her church. I said, "Because I want my children to learn about the hope of heaven, not the threat of hell."

She answered, " For your children, hell is a very real possibility." And then she flounced off. LMAO still over this. This and many stories like it are why I am a Buddhist now.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 6:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010