How can I get my son off the boob?

My son is 15 months old and still loves his boobies. He dosent nurse all day, mostly for naps, after daycare or after a tantrum. But I am working part time and looking to add more hours to my shift. He goes to daycare from 8-4 but when I pick him up he almost immeditaly want to nurse. I have friends telling me to just stop, tell him no and stop. But I feel thats mean and wrong to do to him. Is it? What have other moms did to stop?

ahullum86

Asked by ahullum86 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would let him go until you dry up. Working more hours and being away form him more is going to course a decline in supply. At this point I would let it ride.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i would tell him no that he is a big boy and needs to drink from a cup or sippy cup
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I never told my kids no when they were being weaned. I would redirect them. Give them a sippy and hold them in my lap. Nursing at that age isn't about nutrition..it's about comfort. The more hours you work the less milk you will produce. It will take a while but slow and gentle is much better for his emotional adjustment. IMO.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Sorry, I want to be clear. I didn't say the words 'no'. But I would not nurse them when they expected it , I would redirect. I cut out one nusing time at a time until it was only at bedtime. . Cut that one last.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Nursing at 15 months is still about nutrition... WHO recommends nursing until at least 2 years for the best nutritional benefits. If you just started working, it is probably him dealing with the change. It is comforting for them. If are not going to self-wean then restricting the time to just bedtime and such is one way to start- or just stop all together. It'll last a few days, but he'll move on. :-) When he wants to nurse, give him a sippy instead.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• is he eating regular food now??? if so make him a bottle and dont give in by giving him a boob if he is thirsty he will drink it after a while
    ilovehersomuch

Answer by ilovehersomuch at 4:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It's recommended that all children be breastfed until at least age 2. Breastfed toddlers that go to day care are sick less and their moms miss less work. My DIL works and she just made it to 24 mo. She never planned to bf that long but my grandson loves nursing and he has a lot of allerges and the doctor told her she should keep nursing. Someone said you can nurse until you dry up. It doesn't really happen that way. As long as the child nurses you make milk. Some cultures have bf children as old as 7. It's common for children to wean on their own when they are 2. You are doing a great job nursing your toddler!!! Don't listen to your friends.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Here is info about child led weaning from a really good breastfeeding website

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand. Do YOU want to stop, or are you planning on stopping because you feel like you HAVE to? Once I know the answer to this, I can probably help you more.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2010