How do you teach an 18 months old not to touch certain stuff ?

I think he no longer care for the word no.

sweetyazfl

Asked by sweetyazfl at 3:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ya, our house is one big play yard! I had to pack away a lot of stuff and lock up more stuff. I have learned that toddlers, especially "high spirited" ones just need the safe environment. I always said I was just going to teach my children, I wasn't going to change my house, but toddlers don't learn over night.
    DoveMomma

Answer by DoveMomma at 4:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• tell him thats not his and that he shouldnt touch things that are not his
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I try that. The latest is disconecting the cables putting it in his mouth and trying to stick them back. I said no, I move from there, I give him toys. Nothing works he just go back and keep doing it. I'm afraid he can get hurt. +
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• You have to be consistent. My DD knew what she was allowed to touch and what she wasn't allowed to touch by that age. I really haven't had an issue with that. She as been told from the beginning that certain things were not hers and that there were either Mommy's or Daddy's and that she can find stuff that belongs to her. This has worked very well for us and at just over 2 we really don't have any major problems.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Childproof. Toddlers tune out the word no because it is overused.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010