What is the best program to prevent computer viruses?

Somehow my computer caught a nasty virus and I was wondering what software is the best to protect against something major happening again. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Mel

Ginger-Snaps

Asked by Ginger-Snaps at 4:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• AVG is great, and it's free. Also, download a program called SpyBot: Search & Destroy...this program gets rid of spyware and malware that can not only damage your system, but tax it's resources and allow bots to remotely use your bandwith to send spam to other computers.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• trend micro is a good one. my hubby works in IT and that's what they tend to recommend.
    Anonymous

• I'm a fan of Trend Micro for ones you pay for. I've used them for years with no complaint.

For free, you can also use AVG and they are VERY good.
    http://free.avg.com/
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I adore Norman, NOT Norton, Norman. It catches Trojans and everything. I keep hearing good things about AVG but haven't used it .
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I use avg my comuter guy wont let me live with out it .. He says norton is a virus itself.. I download all kind of stuff for my sims and never have a problem.. Its fee also..
    homemom1620

Answer by homemom1620 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I use AVG and love it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I switched to Linux. Linux protects itself so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 3:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2008