Do you think people are using the term bullying a little too loosely lately? Isn't that a negative label for a child?

Ever since they started the anti bully campaigns it seems like more and more people are so quick to use the term bully for normal child hood spats. I think using the term so loosely isn't fair to the child, and could be giving them a negative label. I'm not saying bullying doesn't happen! I'm not trying to confuse it with kids who hurt other children so badly they are in the hospital, or beating up and stealing lunch money or toys, or beating on or hurting a child who seems weaker or smaller or different from the others.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why aren't we teaching the kids why it's important to get along, and how great it can be to have friends that are different instead of getting so hung up on who was right ans who was wrong!?
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think so... things happen and kids go through phases and deal with quite a bit. Sometimes, just like adults, kids vent or need outlets and passerby-ers are the ones that catch the wrath. A bully is a person who intentionally seeks out others to do harm, continuously. Life is what happens when kids disagree or come across people they just don't like- it is our job to teach them how to deal with life when it comes about.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I just don't think we are doing our kids any favors by treating them like the victim, if it is truly just a spat amongst children. They need to work it out. I agree a bully is a person who seeks out others to harm on a regular basis.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I agree. its just a symptom of our society to go overboard in any and all directions and it doesn't make sense.
    I LOVE your qestion and ans. btw
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Awwe! Thanks :) I think a lot!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I agree about going overboard. In fact, I had a kid over last night who called another playmate a bully for standing up for himself so this kid pushed him off the couch and into a bin of hotwheels. Sadly, the parent didn't do a thing to explain it wasn't even remotely "bully" behavior. I was appalled.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010