What should be done to the victims of abuse at Abu Ghraib?

WASHINGTON – Fending off demands that he resign over the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told Congress in 2004 that he had found a legal way to compensate Iraqi detainees who suffered "grievous and brutal abuse and cruelty at the hands of a few members of the United States armed forces."
It's the right thing to do," Rumsfeld said. "And it is my intention to see that we do."

From the budget years 2003 to 2006, the Defense Department paid $30.9 million to Iraqi and Afghan civilians who were killed, injured, or incurred property damage due to U.S. or coalition forces' actions during combat. The Army has found no evidence any of those payments were used to compensate victims of abuse at Abu Ghraib.s the right thing to do," Rumsfeld said. "And it is my intention to see that we do."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Geez... What' the right thing to do.

I have to say.. I have no idea..

When I think about what some suffered in Abu Ghraib, their homes..ect.. I honestly can not think of anything our government can do to "make it right" or to even "compensate" for those things.. I just can't.. I can't say that money would make something like that right or compensate me in anyway if I had been on the receiving end of any of the treatment that many over there did receive. I'm really at a loss as to how to compensate. I really and truly am. I just can't think of anything that would be enough, and I really don't think money would ever be compensation enough.

I'm not surprised that the money didn't make it where it was supposed to go.. Look at how much money has just gone "Poof" over the years in Iraq.. No trace.Just .POOF. Billions of dollars just gone.. lol There are some very full pockets somewhere in the world, that's all I know.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Oh good grief. Personally, I'd have made wearing panties a prison uniform and called it good. Frilly panties.

The prisoners involved in that little episode weren't there because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time ~ which some in the prison were. That took some time but it was sorted out. The scum in that particular cell block were the ones caught setting off IEDs, shooting at our soldiers, running arms and supplies, etc. Their buddies who weren't caught were the ones dragging bodies through the streets and hanging them from tall things after they mutilated them.

Some of you still want to PAY THEM? What they should have gotten was questioned and a bullet in the back of the head, by a woman.

It's crap like this that led to MORE ied attacks. Every one of you who supports this should have to scrub out a humvee ~ maybe sponging up the brains, blood, and tissue would help you understand. Maybe not.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Well...since this is CURRENT EVENTS and Politics, I say we defer this question to the OBAMA Administration, and see how THEY feel about the situation, and how it should be handled!! Since the Bush Administration is no longer and Obama was elected because he wasn't Bush, let's see if he can use all of that "experience" of his to make amends!! Yeah, right!

Question, when Obama is out of office, will you be posting all of the "unfinished business" that he and his administration started, but failed to follow through on, or is this just more bash-the-people-no-longer-in-office-to-deflect-from-the-fact-that-your-president-sucks kind of question?! :o)

34 days!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't feel all that bad for these prisoners myself. We were holding some really bad people.

I do feel bad for the victims our soldiers found in Saddam's prisons. How do you compensate a woman for the murder of her husband and father..repeated rape and the birth and loss of 2 children due to rape....all while in Saddam's prison? There are thousands like her. When I hear stories like hers, I have no feelings for the prisoners of Abu Ghraib.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I do feel bad for the victims our soldiers found in Saddam's prisons. How do you compensate a woman for the murder of her husband and father..repeated rape and the birth and loss of 2 children due to rape....all while in Saddam's prison? There are thousands like her. When I hear stories like hers, I have no feelings for the prisoners of Abu Ghraib. ~ Yourspecial

^^This!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I feel that what was done there was nothing compared to what they would have done to our troops if the situation were reversed and Americans were being held by Iraqi's. The very things they do to their own people wives and children are despicable, I'm tired of everyone thinking we owe them compensation. Our dead aren't compensation enough? It's war. What is wrong with the military doing their job and the media not reporting biased anti-american indoctrination. Freedom is definately NOT free. .
    treece

Answer by treece at 3:53 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• OK Sweet,

We get it, you hate our solders and love the enemy. I could let you talk to my grandson, who was one of the chief medical officers at that prison, at that time.  You could get the real truth then, but I doubt if he would talk to a military hating person as yourself. You have no idea what happened over there, and your just spreading your usual bullshit.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Amen Nates...smells like the usual all the way over here.......I just thought my dog had farted but it was this post all along. OOOPPS
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I already know you dont care that the republican Democrat President LIED, killed and put us in extreme debt.....

***

Fixed that for ya! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't feel that we are obligated to compensate them. I kind of just chalk it up to the fact that really horrible, disturbing things happen in war.

I am sorry for the things that happend to those people but terrible things happen to people everyday.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010