Potty training: did you follow the BOYS book by Caroline Fertleman and Simone Cave and did it work for you/your DS?

I like their relaxed approach to potty training, but we're not having much luck with it. I could never get my son to pee in the bath, so after more than a month, we just went to try to the potty. After a particularly bad day last week (my fault, I was a hot head), he now won't sit on the potty. He'll kick & scream if I try to lead him to the potty (even though he's already started to tinkle). Rewards don't work because he just wants it without doing anything - I don't know if he quite understands the concept of rewards/negotiations.

Should I just drop everything, put the potty away, and come back to it in a couple of weeks?

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 4:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, you didn't follow the book? Or no, you followed it, but it didn't work for you guys?
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Boys are not usually ready until 2.5 or 3 years old. I'd wait a little longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• no..i have never read or followed any books..i just followed simple tricks..the run round w/o diapers works well..
    an the tent/fortress over the potty seems to work well on boys..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have never heard of the book before. DS was about 18 months before I even considered potty training him and we started off by having him help pick out a potty chair and big boy underwear. We were just consistent in taking him and offered rewards. Good luck to you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010