Do you allow your DD to play with boy toys?

Or are you strict about letting her/them play with girl toys? And vise-versa if you have sons.

We allow our DD to play with whatever she finds interesting. If that happens to be cars and helicopters, etc, than that's what we'll let her play with. We're not very gender oriented, we allow her to play with whatever she's interested in.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 4:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My oldest DD is 4 and she has always loved to play with hot wheel cars and she also plays with girl toys. Its kinda cute, she puts her hotwheels in her purse and carries it around :)
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If she wanted to. Not like there are a lot of boy toys available in this household. Not yet at least. Hell she's more interested in dog toys than she is her own. lol
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have a boy and a girl, so they share some of their toys, how else would they play together? They play barbies but he's always KEn, there are things he's not allowed to play with of course, and not that he cares to either. Like make up! LOL My daughter plays with his super heroes, she carries them in her purse also.
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 4:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Nope they play with what they are interested in.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• With two older brothers and one baby brother, she is often playing with cars, trucks, building blocks, and trains. However it is fascinating to see her with her stuffed animals and dolls. She is so gentle with them! :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Let them play with what they want.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Sadly I think it is more accepted for a girl to play with boy toys, then for a boy to play with girl toys. I have always tried to keep an open policy for our 2.5 year old son. I want to let him explore himself and be and play with what is fun and right for him, but at the same time I try to show him social norms, keeping him from being made fun of to much. It sounds complicated, I know. But it seems to work for us. Though he LOVES dinosaurs, he also has a boy dolly (dora's baby brother from the twin set) that he loves and rocks and takes care of.
    DoveMomma

Answer by DoveMomma at 4:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I strongly believe in non-sexist childrearing. My sons had girl and boy toys. They learned girl and boy skills and had girl and boy friends. I had friends that were raising their children the same way. We had read research Bem had done that found people that were more androgynous were more flexible and mentally happy. My boys are now men and I think it worked out well. They treat women very well and can do everything - cook, shop, sew, take care of babies, guy stuff, everything.

I think it is a huge mistake to call a girl a princess and go overboard on pink.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i had hot wheels, legos, building blocks, lincoln logs, and trucks when i was a kid, i hope my daughter wants to play with those too cause i can't do playing with dolls so it'll be more fun to play with her if she likes boy toys
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• and vice versa ... besides I can't even really define what is a "boy" and "girl" toy (well barbies maybe but other than that....) and yeah I don't care of ds uses barbies with dd... he usually has them be ninja's though
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010