What do you do to get ahead in money? Ugh!!!

It seems like no matter what we do to get ahead like cut corners here and there we end up with nothing until next payday :/ What do you do that is SMART?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Cut down on spending and start saving ... we don't have cell phones, or cable, and we have only one car. Life isn't as easy without them, but then we can save our money. Look into Dave Ramsey.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Only buy something if you can pay for it now.
    If you use credit cards pay them off each month.
    Save enough to live on for at least six months.
    Save for retirement.
    No coffees out.
    Water if you eat out.
    Carry your lunch
    Use up your left overs every three days
    Do not eat out.
    Do not buy things just because your child wants it.
    Avoid convenience stores
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Create meal plans each week and make your shopping list based on that. You will buy significantly less food.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Oh you mean that "keeping your head above water feeling"?? Yeah it is hard once you get behind because then you are just playing catch up and deciding which bill to pay first. Been there Done that :(.
    Now I use SouthernSavers.com to help me save money on groceries.
    I also started working a Home Business last year to help bring in some money, it has been a true blessing to my family. It helps out with the extra bills and it is SOOOO nice to be able to just pick up and take our girls shopping. We still haven't reached our Financial Freedom point but we have come such a LONG way from when I started in 2009.

Good Luck and know it CAN get better. "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"

ChristinaAtHome

Answer by ChristinaAtHome at 4:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Coupon clipping.
    Preparing home made meals. (From scratch!)
    Shopping at farmer's markets and local stores for fruits, vegetables, and meat. (Shopping locally is a lot cheaper!)
    Making my own cleaning products. (Cheaper and easier than you think!)

#1 Working from home! With Mary Kay, I earn 50% on everything I sell and get to hang out with the girls and have fun, spend time with my family, work whichever hours I want, and earn money while doing it! Get in touch with me if you're interested in learning more!!
    mbdc

Answer by mbdc at 7:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We budget our money and only use cash when we pay for things in person. Studies have shown that you spend 12 to 18% more when you pay with a debit or credit card. For some reason when we don't feel it as much when we swipe.

For us using a written budget and cash cut our expenses by 21%, yet we feel like we have more because we decide together what our priorities are.

We also use the envelope system where you label the envelopes- say groceries, and put the cash in the envelope and that's what you can spend at the grocery store. You have to be realistic about it. and you can't borrow money from one envelope to put it in another. But for us it's worked wonders :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:24 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Budget!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Don't spend more money than you have coming in every month. Pay off credit card bills in full.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Have you ever thought about working from home to make some extra money? I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 19 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2010