How Do I Get OUT OF spending Thanksgiving with In Laws??

At this point I am willing to break a leg (literally) so that I don't have to go. We got out of it last year by spending it with my side of the family who all LOVE DH and have a great time. - Being with my in-laws and my SIL who makes snotty remarks to me every opportunity she has is going to be there. I HATE being there on holidays, it's boring and and I don't get along with his side. - PLUS they dont' drink so I can't even "have a few" to ease the pain... AUGH

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• "Puke" the night before, and then tell them you don't want to spread it around.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You know his family before you married him? Then you agreed to deal with them on holidays. My in-laws and I get along until something comes up that we don't agree on. However, I spend at least 4 hours per two weeks with them. I suck it up. Perhaps you should do the same? I know it is hard, but sometimes that is easier than dealing with the guilt and the constant "why are you never here'
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Call a place close by that offers time shares and make reservations you then are obligated to go to that because the $99 fee is non refundable and darn it thanksgiving weekend is the last date before you lose your money! It will be a nice change of pace to not have to cook, clean or look at people I have to pretend I like! We are going to Gatlinburg lol!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 4:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i would say you are starting a tradition at your home for thanksgiving with just you, DH and kids... they cant say much to that...
    BTW if i was at my MIL's house who doesnt drink - i would bring my own drink and tell them that i am not making them drink it i am just choosing to ...
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• hey get you a very large to go cup make you a stiff drink and take it with you when you need a re fill run to the car....lol....
    MarksGurl

Answer by MarksGurl at 4:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I hope that saying "sometimes you just have to take one for the team" isn't mean or rude, because that's what I have to say. I think the best way to handle it is to plan on spending a limited amount of time there instead of the whole day. I'm with you though, it's to bad we can't choose our families, we just have to accept who we get :)

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• LOL You sound like me. I am FORCED to undergo massive torture because that's when we celebrate DH birthday. It's his family tradition. His family doesn't drink either. PLUS, they cook caribbean food. It's nice to have for dinner but I wasn't raised on it. I want MY Thanksgiving dinner. However, Christmas we are inlaw free. It's our time. So, breaking a leg, MIGHT be your only option.  If  you have luck like mine, they'd bring Thanksgiving TO YOU.  I know the anticipation is killing you.  Ya might have to just bare it for the hours.  Oh and give your SIL a taste of her own medicine.  I don't play that mess!

mom2trewife2vic

Answer by mom2trewife2vic at 4:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree with Lornamay. Sometimes you have to take one for the team.

But nobody says you have to take it without a hip flask in your purse.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• While I do like marksgurl's response, I would suggest volunteering at a homeless shelter or meal delivery place. My father and I do this at Christmas to break away from the crazy people we share a bloodline with. Even though we do it specifically because we cant stand the drama or how obsessed with presents these people are, it does show my daughter what she has and teaches her to be charitable minded. Plus you get to come off smelling like a rose instead of having them talk about why you're not there! lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I know the feeling..luckily they are now my ex-in laws. My current in-laws are much more accepting and down to earth. Anyway, go and say your not feeling well and leave early. That's what I used to do. I used to have a mean sister law too, I just learned to smile and ignored her which just pissed her off more. That's really the best thing to do- she is probably just jealous of you.
    Anonymous