How do I know whether or not to change daycares or see if things will change?

My 9 month old has been going to this daycare since May. She still cries, screams, and holds on to me when I leave her. She cries as soon as she sees when I come to pick her up like she's just been sad all day. She doesn't play with the other children much. She just goes off by herself. When I get her home shes back to her normal extremely happy self. The teachers seem great so I don't think they're doing anything to her. So, do I just continue letting her go hoping after awhile she'll get over it or should I look for another center? But if I go to another center then she'll be with brand new people and may hate it even more.

newmomma2008

Asked by newmomma2008 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well, how is she doing when you are not there? Try sneaking in and don't let her see you.. see for yourself what she is doing. She probably is okay, it sounds like a fairly normal reaction from a child.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• How do you feel when you drop her off? Do you like the people that work there? I would definitely go with my own instincts when it comes to this because I know those strong feeling that you get are usually right in these types of situations. Go with how you feel when it concerns the safety of your child.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 5:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i am a childcare provider and i have never had a child cry that long after coming. is the baby only around you? if so she may just have detachment issues. at 9 months its hard to tell cause of course they cant talk. i would talk with the provider and find out if she does cry all day. if so you may have to change providers that can provide more one on one attention. i currently watch a 9month old and he cried the first couple times but now he doesn't even notice mom is gone. also take into consideration that her needs may not be met such as feeding, changing and just plain old leaving her alone too much. good luck
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• well some days are better than others. I get her little "report card" and most times she doesn't drink all her bottle. Or they'll even write on there "very fussy". One day they asked if I could bring some teething medicine but Ive only given her that maybe twice in her whole 9 months so I know thats not what it is. She barely takes naps. I dont think she cries constantly all day but I dont think she's very happy either.
    newmomma2008

Answer by newmomma2008 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We switched sitters also and they cried when I'd leave and cry as soon as they saw me in the afternoon. The house is clean and there are plenty of activities. My 3 yr old will tell me "I cried because I wanted you". I don't know what to think. I hated taking them there. I hate the guilt that they are not happy. She is a very nice clean woman but our boys just seem overwhelmed there. I thought about it and we made other arrangements. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out. IMO I don't think these are good signs and you should not take her back.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2008