• In the Spotlight:

How can we get a handle on al ittle boys tatrums?

We have roomates that have a 2 year oldson who love to hit,bit,throw tatrums, and screams his head off. We have tried everything

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• A swat on the butt might cure it. Now is the time you have to really gain control. He is exhibiting behavior where he is testing how you will react to different situations... he is learning what he can and cannot do. It might be tough... you might hurt more than he, but you have to gain control. No counting either...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Well you cant spank because he is not yours.

I am a firm believer in time outs. I know that they seem like a relaxed form of discipline but if you stick to your guns, show them who is boss then they become effective. A minute long time out to a kid is like a lifetime to them.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• well Pupmom it seems this is not her child so a swat on the butt is not ok. I would think it is time to sit down and have a talk with the parents. This behavior is not ok and needs to change. I have learned that if you remove the child from the sight and earshot of any one and act as if they are not throwing a fit they stop because a tantrum is really just to get attention.
    SarahMerritt_22

Answer by SarahMerritt_22 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I have two boys, one nine and the other three and a half so I have a little experience with tantrums. I too tried just about everything to get them to stop and basically just stumbled on something by accident that seems to be working (thank God!). Whenever my little guy, ( yeah he occasionally still has them) goes into one of these horrid tantrums, I simply drop to my knees to where we are eye to eye and start talking to him in a calm, and I mean very calm tone. I start to talk about how nice a walk would be about now, how if he weren't so upset we could be doing something so fun right now. Don't ask me why or how, but for my son it does work. Talk about whatever you know the kid likes, puppies or kitties whatever! It only works if you follow through with whatever, when I talk about taking a walk , we do go for that walk. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 4:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Just wanted to correct what I posted before, the nine year old DOES NOT throw tantrums! LOL.
    hibicent

• Has anyone heard of "love and logic" it is the most amazing plan I had ever learned. Look it up on the net. The father and son team teach so much. For tantrums when my now 6 year old did that I would walk away and not pay any attention to him. It worked every time.
    NeecieG

Answer by NeecieG at 7:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008