Do you have to be a certain age or have a certain number of children before you can get your tubes tied?

Im 18 and pregnant with my second baby, I dont want any more children of my own my husband and I decided we want to adopt later, but I have gotten pregnant using a condom and while taking the pill, I want to be sure and not get pregnnt again but still be able to make love to my husband without worrying about it. So I would like to get my tubes tied.

Mslewis555

Asked by Mslewis555 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Health

• Perhaps have him consider getting a vasectomy. Much less invasive and the like. You may have a hard time getting one done for non medical reasons so young. I know I need to have a hysterectomy for medical reasons and even that is taking me forever to find a doctor to do it and I am 23
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• No, there are no requirements.

I agree though - consider a vascectomy. It's cheaper, easier to reverse if you change your minds, has a shorter recovery period, and you don't run the risk of an ectopic pregnancy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Most doctors want you to wait until you are 25 or older. But in your case, I doubt that will happen. You already have a family you are happy with and that is the main reason to delay. Doctors would rather wait than have to do a reversal.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• if i was u i would ask your hubby to have a vascectomy it be easyer on him. my hubby was going to get it done 4 me. but i ended up having trouble and had to get a hysterectomy done
    scoobyisbest

Answer by scoobyisbest at 7:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I am married and asked for one after my second child.. The only requirements here is you have to be 21 and have at least 2 children.
    BaysMom26

Answer by BaysMom26 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008