Has anyone ever had a racoon in the house?

Ours is in the basement and has created tunnels to the kitchen and pantry. Last night he ate almost everything we own. We set a live trap, but nothing. How can we get him out and save our sanity??

Indyk

Asked by Indyk at 4:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Pets

• Call an exterminator- they will likely put a one-way door on any entrace/exit points so that the raccoon can't get back in once it goest out. We had a mother raccoon have a litter of babies in our wall... we had to cut a hole in our drywall to remove the babies and then put them outside the house in a shoebox for the mom to find... she did come and get them and moved them to another location (probably a neighbour's attic instead of ours!)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No..sorry. I remember when I was little my mom was cooking and screamed cause there was squirrel in the house. She had to call my dad and his friend (at the time) to come help her get it out. lmbo.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 4:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• OMG hahahaha! oh nooo! well, you shoudl put something like bleach, which is really foul smelling, aroiund the entraance to your kitchen at his hole area. you could also light some incese sticks and smoke him out liek that he'll or sheel probably HATE the frangrance. also, YOU NEED TO CALL your cooperative extension if rural, or if i nburbs, ANIMAL CONTROL! even the warden or sherriff... they will get him but not nicely. if you are trying to be nice, you need to go get a small terrier or cat... that coon will be gone asap, go borrow a neighbor's DOG and scare the coon away. that is SO weird do you live in a log cabin type home???
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 4:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Get a shotgun and wait up for him some night. he shows his furry face,blow his ass apart!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Why do people keep putting these under PETS?
    No, I have never had one, but I would be beside myself.
    We have had squirrels in our attic and got rid of them with a live trap.
    I would be worried about rabies in raccoons?
    Do you have animal control in your area?

This is bad, but my husband was working out of town when the squirrels were in my attic. They would be in the attic at night and in the morning he would come outside and look in my window which is right across from my bed. He was tormenting me. I threatened my husband that I was going to buy a gun and shoot this squirrel. I thought about it later me out there shooting at a squirrel. My poor house.
    No, I do not think so.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Try peanut butter in the live trap. It has a strong odor and might attract the raccoon.
    tootoobusy

• No, don't live in a log cabin, just a 100 year old house with a full basement. I will try the bleach!

Sorry, but PETS is the only ANIMAL category....what would you suggest? How about another category!

We do have peanut butter bread in the live trap! Wish us luck!! :-)
    Indyk

Comment by Indyk (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Wow ~ some of you seem rather hostile to wild things :-(

OP, call animal control/SPCA in your area. They have people who will come remove that raccoon and relocate him/her to someplace more appropriate ... and make sure there isn't a family of baby raccoons that need to go along with 'mom'. Don't try to trap it yourself, there are disease and injury issues that aren't much fun that you might run into.

What you can do is try and locate the entrance the raccoon is using ~ and if you see him outside, block it off. You'd still have to check for babies ... even though this isn't the right time of year.

Also, if it actually gets into your home, take your kids/pets/phone and leave ... and don't go back without an animal control person or a cop.

I will say that they were my fav foster babies ... they are adorable when they are small.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• lol yep we have. he came through our doggy door! we just let the dog loose (didnt know it was a racoon btw) and he chased him out..
    mrs.phillips123

Answer by mrs.phillips123 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• no
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 2:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2010