playdates

Anyone know of any ideas on how to come about setting up playdates for a 18month old when you really dont know of anyone that has kids around their age?

Cynthia L.

Asked by Cynthia L. at 5:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would never get into that "play date" thing because kids now lie on you a lot. I won't even allow my girls to play date either because you just don't know people too well. Kids go home and tell little lies a lot, and I don't have time for it.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• really wow i couldnt imagine my babies lieing 2 me lol guess im gonna b in for it when they do strat hopefully b a few yrs b4 that happens thnx
    Cynthia L.

Comment by Cynthia L. (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• alll the playdates i have been to, the parents were there also. You can see if there are any groups here onCafemom or another site is meetup.com. If you have a MOPS group in town you can start there. MOPS.org is the website to help find groups. GL
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I found my moms group through Meetup.com - we all had our babies the same year, so it's been nice for my son to have kids around his age to play with. (Plus, most of us moms were first-timers, so we also ended up having a lot in common.) If you don't find a group that fits, you can also start your own - you might be surprised at how many people end up joining! (Meetup does charge for its services. Most groups charge their members an annual fee to cover the group fees, and they're usually not that much. I pay $10/year. Some groups may not even charge anything, or accept whatever donations you feel like giving.)
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 6:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My favorite site for finding playdate groups is meetup.com. You search for groups that are in or near your area, and sign up for whichever ones interest you. The group I was in metup for tons of differeng things. Parks/playgrounds, houses, holiday parties so the families could all celebrate together, birthday parties, potlucks, cookouts. We had moms night outs(mno's) too which were always nice, we'd meet at soemone's house and have a potluck and just chat, go to the movies, go out to eat, whatever. I have met tons of great families on that site. Good luck. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I also joined a Moms group on Meetup.com. I have met 5 of my closests friends through it. All of our kids are the same age and met when they were about 6 months. They are now all 2 1/2. All the playdates we have are with us all together. Of course unless one of us needs to go to the Dr. and we will watch theirs for them. I am not sure why all of a sudden playdates are a negative thing. It is wonderful for their socialization especially if you are a SAHM.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If you go to church, try to meet moms from your child's nursery group or ask with the office. Look for a little kid's open gym that you can go to, and chat with a few moms there, you may find some you really get along with. Check your library for a baby's book time type program - I've met so many great mom's through our library book babies! If you are just meeting them, it may be less intimidating to meet at a park, gym, or other neutral location. If your baby is only 18 months old, you obviously would stay with him/her! It's a great way to meet other moms and for your child to socialize! You could also call your town office and ask about activities for toddlers that you could get involved in. Good luck!!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 11:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I joined a group on Meetup, but our experience hasn't been that good. Hardly any events, and they cover too big an area for it to be convenient very often. Its probably hit or miss. We joined MOPS (which is ok - great field trips, but haven't made real friendships yet - no one is right around dd's age) and a MOMS Club (Moms offering Moms Support). They help, but I'm still looking for more.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010