What size bike should I get my 9 year old?

My daughter has outgrown her 16" bike that she got when she was 5 or 6. I want to get her a new one for her birthday but I'm confused what size to get. The next size up is "20 and then its "24. She is small for being almost 9 (in the 25 percentile for her age). I am thinking of a "20 but DH thinks I should get her a "24 cuz it will last longer. I can't take her with me to try it out for size since then she will know I'm looking to get her a bike for her birthday . So what size do you think would be right? If you have kids close in age to her, what size do they ride? Any thoughts?

michellec814

Asked by michellec814 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Shopping

• Hmmm, I used to have a 24" when I was her age, but I wasn't smaller for my age either.

I would say to get the 20" and if you find out that she can use the bigger size I'd return it for a bigger one. All that matters is that you have 'a' bike there for her bday, you can always bring it back to get the bigger size if need be.
    MasonsMommy1707

Answer by MasonsMommy1707 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My son is the same age as your daughter, and he also is in the lower percentile for his age (30 percent). We purchased him a 20" bike last year for his b-day and it is the perfect size for him. Going from the 16" to the 20" was a big step for him and it took a few practice runs for him to finally feel comfortable again. All of my son's friends in the neighborhood that are his age have 20" bikes as well... even those bigger then him (which is like pretty much ALL his friends).
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I have a 7 year old daughter and she is quite tall we went and got her a bike for her birthday also. We were checking into a 16" but that was to small the next one up is the one we ended up getting which was an 18" if you are lookin for something that she will be able to grow into then a 20 inch may be your best bet.
    wlmead

Answer by wlmead at 11:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I would say get the 20 inch bike. You can always raise the seat for her as she grows to get more use out of it before needing to move up to the next size. I have an 8 year old & we are going to buy her a 20 inch bike sometime soon because she is outgrowing her other one.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2008