Sibling Rivalry: An only and jealous of unborn baby

So my DD is 8 yrs old and has enjoyed being daddies little princess. But now that I'm pregnant I expect issues. DD and I were "passing notes" and since DD wanted to write I got a notebook and wrote a letter to the baby. She got jealous of that and told me I was "suppose to write to her only". I'm letting her write her own note to the baby now and I hope that makes her more involved with the baby. Yesterday I allowed her to help choose baby boy names. What else can I do to help her ease into this transition. I'm only 8 weeks pregnant so theres plenty of time.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 5:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• i have an 8 year old boy. he is a sweetheart and extreemely smart and sensitive. so we announced this very gently and specially to him only. and let him deal with handlign that. then we told him he will have new responsibilities and new opportunities for fun once the baby comes and mommy has to take care of the little one. i adjusted fine to my lil sister i was 4, they gave me a doll on her birth day. So we also go tmy son a cool star wars lego set when she was bron. and my parents got him a pillow pet. this helped a lot to alleviate any feeligns of emptiness or change. then you still need to give the child a lot of hugs. start tp explain to her (she is 8) what the baby looks liek at each stage. go to parents.com and they have a timeline with pictures, or webMD.com or parenting.com. my baby is six months nwo and my son is awesome withher, took a little while because at first they are SO fragile and small and silent! besttoyou!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 6:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• also do somethign as a family of three special and then do LOTS of thinsg as mom and daughter enjoy her while she is your only one!! Once the baby came to me, i looked at my 7 yr olds and sadi WOW he is huge! but hes only 7 but he LOOKS BIG compared to my eight pound baby!!!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 6:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my second we had a great book about being a big brother (I think it was even called "I'm a Big Brother" and I know there's a similar one for big sisters). It got my son really excited about the baby and all the things he'd be able to do as the older sibling.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 6:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• You still have plenty of time. She'll get used to it and even pick up on your excitement. As long as you make her understand that initially babies do need a lot of attention, but she won't be replaced. Just keep doing what your doing, mama.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 9:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010