Do you think it's wrong to celebrate Thanksgiving?

LOL! I just couldn't help myself! With all the Halloween questions I needed a change of pace. So.. here is the issue -- this is a holiday patently offensive to Native Americans. It marks the beginning of their being betrayed, abused and enslaved, when they welcomed new settlers with open arms and helped them survive. So, should this be celebrated? If you say yes -- Would you feel differently if it was something that marked the beginning of slavery for Black Americans? I've noticed that often with Native Americans people say "get over it" but they would never say that about other races - why do you think that is?

Serafyna

Asked by Serafyna at 5:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it all depends on how it's celebrated. To celebrate it as a day of remembering the Pilgrims and that myth of how they were so thankful to the Indians for helping them out is wrong...because it's a lie. A lie that keeps being perpetuated as people teach their children this myth and neglect to tell the ugly side of the story.

But that said, I think it's fine to celebrate it as a day of gratitude and giving thanks in general. There's nothing wrong with counting our blessings and that's the theme I like to keep in mind for Thanksgiving day.
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 5:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Whew this is a loaded question! However Yes we do as a time for to celebrate the things we are thankful for. I don't think that when the Pilgrims sat down with the Native Americans at that first thanksgiving dinner that they were thinking "What suckers, just wait until they see what we have in store for them" or rather about betraying them. That came later. I DO feel it was originally about a friendship that had been established. Now Native Americans may have looked back on it later (or now) and think they never should have sat down with the "white man" because of what happened but neither side, at that first dinner, could have predicted what was to happen. They were living in the "now".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i was about to say really are we gonna have to talk about this for every holiday lol ...
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Answered at 5:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 by: Feridust

I think it all depends on how it's celebrated. To celebrate it as a day of remembering the Pilgrims and that myth of how they were so thankful to the Indians for helping them out is wrong...because it's a lie

Please enlighten me on this. I was pretty sure the betrayal was after the first thanksgiving, so I'm a little ignorant on if there was really any alternative intent of that first thanksgiving.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Very good question...curious to see the replies myself.
    Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Very nice, Kristi. We celebrate Thanksgiving by eating way too much food, and speaking about the things we are thankful for. Never (except maybe in high school) have Native Americans or whites or anybody else even entered my mind during the big feast.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

•  I can celebrate what I am thankful for everyday. I love me some Thanksgiving...matter of fact its my favorite holiday with my family, but logically speaking, you can spend family time like that any day of the year. Just like Cmas...you can do gift giving any time of the year. It is not Jesus' bday anyway, nor does he say for us to celebrate it. (for real, if you give it some time to research you will find that your pastor is WRONG when he says it is!) Mothers Day, that too. You can show your mom some love on any given day. (I better still get my roses! LOL)

Commercial ladies. That is all it's about...sell sell sell.

Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Found somethign on it Feridust and I want to ask if this was the lie you mentioned http://www.2020tech.com/thanks/temp.html

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

•  KristiS~ You're right...it did happen afterward, sorry I wasn't very clear.

I meant that Thanksgiving is rarely if ever referred to in the way in which it officially began in 1637 when the Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony declared a day of Thanksgiving. He thanked God that returning Dutch and English mercenaries had eliminated 700 men, women and children of the Pequot tribe who had gathered for their annual Green Corn Dance. Over the next 100 years Thanksgiving was ordained as a day of thanking God for this "victory".

Thanksgiving is almost always mistakenly referred to as the day in 1621 when the Pilgrims sat down to a feast with some of the local Indians. The fact that Miles Standish actively sought the killing of a local chief just before that day is also nearly always left out.

Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 6:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Found somethign on it Feridust and I want to ask if this was the lie you mentioned

That's some of it, yes. That's a good site and I'm going to have to read through all of it. :)
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 6:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008