Vitamin B12 to treat fatigue?

I have heard from many people that vitamin B12 is supposed to give you energy... or just make you feel better in general... even in people who don't actually have a B12 deficiency. Actually, a woman I work with told me that she has issues with chronic fatigue, which I do too, and her doctor gives her injections of B12 and it really makes her feel a lot better.

I have just been... exhausted... since I was about 12. Now I'm almost 23 and still... no change. Nothing seems to help. I swear, for the last 10 years or more I have just had so little energy... no matter how much sleep I get, I am just exhausted all the time. I am on Adderall and it used to really give me an energy boost but that's not even working anymore. I was on it for about a year, quit while I was pregnant with my twins and started it again when they were a month old... it helped before the pregnancy but since I've been BACK on it, it hasn't helped much...

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Health

• So have any of you had any luck with B12 for fatigue? I am just so tired of being tired : (
    JenMarie2007

Comment by JenMarie2007 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I have heard that it's good to help with fatique, but a girl I work with was getting the injections and was falling asleep, she stopped taking them. Do you eat pretty good, the stuff you should. I know I get so tired if I eat candy, junk food, but if I eat healthy, like oatmeal for breakfast, fruits for snacks, I feel so much better. The sugar really drags me down to where I could just lay down and go to sleep.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, I'm not the healthiest eater... but I try to stay away from sugar. I just don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies.
    JenMarie2007

Comment by JenMarie2007 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The foods we eat give us energy too. And if your body doesn't get enough of specific foods it will feel sluggish and have that lack of energy feeling. Also if your body is lacking in certain vitamins it could be due to that as well. It could be a combination of things. Vitamin b12 is for energy. Even stress can be a drain on a person's energy level too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• B12 won't do much for your energy level unless you have a true B12 deficiency.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Absolutely!  My doctor told me to take it and it worked.  I have been taking it ever since. 

Vitamin B12 promotes the production of red blood cells which carry oxygen around the body which in turn gives the body more energy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Hey! B12 and B6 together will help with fatigue. In what you were mentioning about the constant fatigue that you struggle with... Makes me think to suggest that you might want to ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels. I myself have Hypothyroidism, and struggle with day to day fatigue, but a very small pill called synthroid counteracts and helps so much. It's just a suggestion. Just because you have constant fatigue doesn't mean you might have hypothyroidism, but just letting you know that it's one of the side effects of the ''disease''.
    Charbear2005

Answer by Charbear2005 at 2:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I had been taking vitamins for years and noticed a small change in my energy level from doing so but not enough in my opinion so I started supplementing with B12 thinking it would help, but I noticed no change whatsoever even after several months. It wasn't until I started adding coconut oil to my diet that my energy skyrocketed through the roof. Coconut oil is supposed to help with absorption issues (both my kids have absorption issues and I'm sure I do too) so I'm assuming my body can finally utilize the vitamins and minerals I'm feeding it, which explains why I now feel I have all the energy I need.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Not for anything.... you could be depressed. I was. I took B-12 shots Adderall, nothing helped.... It still doesn't.... I'm diagnosed Bipolar with Schizo Affective Disorder. It didn't show until I was 45, when my youngest was 6. You never know. It could be depression. Go see your Dr.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 3:36 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't know if this will help you - but it has helped with my energy and overall health - I started taking Oligo Vitality vitamins last year - I noticed a big difference in my energy level in just 1 week and I have been illness free for the past year! I took the 90 day challenge - if after 90 days you don't feel a marked difference in your health and energy, you can get a full refund - no questions asked! I'm so glad that I took the challenge - it has made such a positive difference in my life - You should take the challenge too - you have nothing to loose - except, maybe your fatigue :)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2010