My son is five and still wants to sleep with me, he has his own bed is it ok to let him sleep with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 year old informed me that she was going to sleep with me until she was 13, lol. I don't know if it's okay or not, it sure makes personal time with my husband a challenge though!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 5:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My son is 6 yrs old, and just last year he started sleeping in his own bed. When I was married to his daddy, he wa always sleeping with us, and when his dad got deployed, he slept with me all the time. His dad broke him of the habit after our divorce, but when he comes to see me, he'd crawl into bed with me if my significan other wasn't home. I started having him sleep in his own bed and I would lay down with him until he fell asleep. It's really your choice and what you're comfortable with. The older they get, the harder it is to get them out of bed. My son still comes and curls up with me as long as my other half isn't in bed. I've not given up laying down with him yet though, its a hard habit to break even for myself. Good Luck!
    rose081900

Answer by rose081900 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think thats way to old to be sleeping with you, it will cause major problems in the future. Him learning to sleep in his own bed will help him build confidence in himself, he's a big boy now. Breaking that habit now will be easier than later, good luck to you.
    musiclovingmomm

Answer by musiclovingmomm at 5:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• mine turned 5 last week and informed me since he was now grown up he can sleep in mommy's bed ALL the time and not just take turns with ayla (they share a room and will not let each other fall asleep)
    I've been trying to explain to him that is the opposite but he's not convince cause mommy's a grownup and she sleeps in that be. ARGHHH
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I don't think he is too old, but society does. I think to gradually wean him from co sleeping, make him sleep on the floor next to the bed. (Make him a pallet.) Then as he gets older he will go to his bed.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My kids never really slept with me, so this wasn't a problem I had with them. But my Grandma raised me and I slept with her until I was 9. I can tell you that it was extremely distressing for me to break that habit at such a late age. It took almost a year for me to adjust to sleeping on my own. My advice would be to break the habit now. The longer he sleeps with you, the harder it will be on him when he has to learn to sleep on his own.
    sway7972

Answer by sway7972 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• That's why I don't believe in co-sleeping, once you start it is so hard to get them in their own bed. It will take some time but he is to old to be sleeping in your bed. There are exceptions, my kids are allowed in our bed if they have a bad nightmare (once they are back asleep they get put back in their bed ) or if they are really sick.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My son slept in his own bed until my divorce. He was all I had so he slept with me. Now he has his own room and at 5, sleeps in his own bed every night.

Now when he is at his father's house, he has to sleep in the bed with him because he does not have his own room. He dad lives with his parents.

I actually had to break the habit with starting the rule that my bedroom was off limits. That way, he wouldn't feel the urge to come in there to crawl in the bed. It worked great.
    2003HotMomma

Answer by 2003HotMomma at 9:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My son often came into our bed at night, finally we told him that he could sleep there one night a week. We have a TV in our bedroom, so we'd just all cozy up and watch a show (a kid's movie of course). Often it was just me and my son; my husband was usually happy to have some quiet time, and get the living-room all to himself.
    I think it worked so well because it made sleeping in our bed a special event, so that after a short time he rarely even asked to be there on other nights.
    My son is now 8, and we still have 'movie night' in my bed on the weekend, but now he goes to his own bed when it's over. The change just seemed to happen on it's own, I think he was even the one to suggest it. But he does still come in for the occasional bad dream or if he's sick.
    torry259

Answer by torry259 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I think he's 2 old 2 b sleeping w/ u. My kids started sleeping by themselves when they were around 18 months-2 yrs. After they were out of the crib, they went str8 2 toddler beds & adjusted really well w/ no probs.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2008