Could I possibly have ptsd?

I placed twins for adoption and they are 18 months old now. They ended up in my neighborhood. I do not have an open adoption. I only see them from a distance. I am very active in my neighborhood; walking alot, running, biking etc... I do not recieve pictures or updates... I see them a lot out walking and will go the other way if possible. I am having a lot of issues with honesty, stealing, seperation, confidence. I am pushing everyone away. Lots of nightmares, paranoid. Could I have ptsd? What are your thoughts? Im hurting so much. I was told I would deliver and disconnect. I don't think I am disconnecting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• If you don't have an open adoption then how are you sure they are your children? PTSD primarily has to do with reliving an event and feelings of intense distress. A mother that gave her babies up for adoption that had PTSD might relive the birth or the last time she held the babies. It doesn't sound like you have PTSD. Mothers that place their babies for adoption seldom deliver and disconnect. I'm sorry someone told you that. You need to talk with someone experienced with working with women in your situation.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Im with Gail, sounds more like severe depression. Ive had both ptsd and the depression. The depression hurts, the ptsd gives you like tunnel vision and you have trouble connecting with your feelings. Please go talk to someone, Im so sorry this is happening to you
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 6:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I too would like to know how you KNOW they are your children?
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would highly suggest that you seek professional help from a licensed therapist. If you are seeking a diagnosis based on a vague description of symptoms, you could be given information from any under-qualified individual claming to know about PTSD symptoms. I'm sorry to hear about the things you have been experiencing and hope that with some treatment you will learn to cope with those issues.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• the adoptive mother contacted me. I did not see the children until they were about 9 months old. The only reason I saw them was because she thought it would be best if we could all spend time together since we ended up in the same neighborhood. They knew the entire time I was pg we were in the same place, I did not.
    greenbmd01

Answer by greenbmd01 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010