babies in slings?

If I carrie my son in a sling while doing the house work wont that make him get to attached to me.. I dont want him to get to attached and have him throwing fits when I have to go some where when he gets older.

cheermickey

Asked by cheermickey at 5:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hate to say it but if you're a SAHM it's going to happen whether you like it or not.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe that a baby can EVER be TOO attached to a parent. Babies are SUPPOSED to be attached to their parents..it's just natural. HOWEVER, I do believe that it is extremely unsafe to use a sling while doing housework....especially cooking and cleaning with chemicals. I use slings..always have, always will. They are TERRIFIC for walks and shopping...but it clearly says on the warning label NOT to use slings while doing housework such as cleaning and cooking.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Wow, the previous poster is a witch, huh?

I slung all of my children, and haven't ever dealt with seperation issues. In fact, they are very secure knowing that if I leave them somewhere I will always come back for them because they know that I am attached to them. Slinging your children, and fostering an attachment isn't a bad thing. It teaches your child that he or she can always count on you, is that such a bad thing?
    Anonymous

• I use my sling for housework or else I would never get anything done. I use it while cooking too and nothing has ever happened. I have been raised with about 6 different women who use slings on their babies and not accidents. These children are now most of them teenagers and we never had the problem throwing fits. I agree with the last post. It lets your children know you are there for them. There is nothing wrong at all with your baby loving you and wanting you and being attached too you. It is the most normal, natural thing in this world. Sling your baby and ignore the critics.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 6:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I use a wrap with my babies. They aren't "too attached" in fact my 1.5 y/o is super independent and will gladly go off with anyone! He only lets my Dh carry him on his back in a Mei Tie.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• to "naturalhome" ...I guess it's okay to let your kids go without a seatbelt in the gar also, eh? After all...Accidents almost NEVER happen, right? My friend has never had a car accident so I guess it's okay to just let her two year old go without a seatbelt in the car.
    Anonymous

• I guess she should just let her kid go without a seatbelt and "ignore the critics".
    Anonymous

• Anon at 5:51: don't be ignorant. You have no idea what you are talking about. That is not a sign of witchcraft. Jeez, don't be such a B. To OP, in all seriousness, it could...really depends on your childs personality. I used slings with all of mine. The 2 older are very independant and not clingy at all. My youngest is a bit more clingy, but that's just her. I'm not used to it, but I don't get stressed by it..she just needs more reassurance.
    Anonymous

• I meant witch as in "mean ... " Her comment that the baby would grow up to be too attached if mom is a SAHM, well ... it might not have been witchy, but it sure rhymes with "witchy." The children of SAHMs are NOT any more likely to be "too attached." To claim that they will is just plain moronic.
    Anonymous

• Shoot ... I should clarify ... I I began my "witchy" comment, the second post hadn't even posted yet. Notice we posted within seconds of eachother. My comment wasn't directed at her, but the poster above her. What a freaking coincidence she posted and her icon is a pentagram ... I apologise for the confusion.
    Anonymous