How can I help my son learn to sit up?

He is 5 months old and I have been trying to help him learn but when I sit him up he immediately tries to topple over. He will lean to one side and make his self fall over. It's like he has no desire to sit up. What can I do to make him want to sit up?

cdogdevon

Asked by cdogdevon at 9:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my girl finally got a little balance we would sit her up and spread her legs as far as they would go comfortably and lean her forward to try to get her to hold herself up with her hands. We kept doing it daily and one day it worked. She was able to hold herself up with her hands but I just had to make sure she didn't fall forward or to the sides. Then after doing that for awhile she ended up letting go of her hands holding herself up on the ground and sat up completely.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• put a bobby around him or put pillows all around his back and sides. you can also put him in the far corner of the couch. all these worked for me.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 9:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• you should get a bumbo. i have one and it's great. auria and tt both sit in it and they have since they were about 3 months. i really think it helps them get the hang of sitting and reaching and picking stuff up.
    collegemom27

Answer by collegemom27 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• what i learned, is he might just not be ready to sit yet. i don't think theres really a whole lot you can do, i think the bumbo i had helped some, but cadence didn't sit till 6 1/2 months,7. it just takes time.
    gem23

Answer by gem23 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• oh yeah one more thing you can also help him stand up more to strengthen his back.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 9:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• None of my 3 kids started sitting on their own until AFTER they were 6 months old. He still has time. Practice makes perfect. Don't push him too hard =)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• BUMBO!!!!!! You can get them Cheap on Craigs list
    MaeleesMom31708

Answer by MaeleesMom31708 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Have you ever heard of a boppy pillow? It's like a half of a donut looking very firm pillow. It is placed around their waste and doesn't allow them to fall completely back. They can also use it during tummy time to help them realize their chest needs to be off of the floor. Good Luck!
    snowmom24

Answer by snowmom24 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• my son is turning 8 months old next week he just started to sit with assistance. what we did to get Skylar to learn anything is to make it into a game. when he falls down we look surprised and say you falled down, what happened? when he sits up we praise him. it worked. now he sits to watch tv, play, and eat. but it takes some time. he will sit up when he is ready. all you can do is try. but this is what worked for us.
    jenni123

Answer by jenni123 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Putting him in a boppy or a bumbo seat will keep him upright and give him time to exercise those tummy muscles.
    Tummy time will also help.
    I like Jenni123's answer about the game too. I've tried similar "Yeah You!" things with my daughter and it really helps.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2008