Discipline for children?

How young is TOO young to spank or put in time out? My child is only 13 months old, and I HATE the idea of discipling her, but she's already acting like she's in her terrible twos! She bites me, ignores me, throws HUGE fits....etc. I don't know what to do??!?!?!? Help!?!?

AvaMariesMomma

Asked by AvaMariesMomma at 5:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know that I'm probably going to catch hell from other CafeMom members for saying this but I DO believe in popping my 15 month old on the hand or tushy when she bites or screams and I have told her to stop. She stops immediately after I give her a little pop. I believe that there is an age when kids can get too OLD to be spanked. I was spanked as a kid and I viewed it as a joke. I just felt like when I did something wrong all I had to go through was a few smacks on the butt and that was all. It was only painful for a few mnutes and it was over. It didn't really teach me a lesson when I was older. The thing that I WILL do when my kids get older is make them do chores like CRAZY for a full waking day or two. Make them wash the car, clean the garage, this and that until I say stop...that was EXTREMELY affective for me as a kid.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

•  I guess to sum it up I do not think your child is too young to be popped (after all you can't "time out" or ground a 13 month old). However...around the age of ten or so I think it becomes ineffective and I would resort to other more affective forms of discipline.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• BTW...my daughter's name is Ava, too!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• okay spanking doesnt work for my child now what?
    OrielaB22

Answer by OrielaB22 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• To OrielaB22:

Discipline is all about trial and error...finding out what works best for you and your family through failed past expierences and knowledge gained. Explore your options. Spanking is affective for some but not for others...likewise for grounding, taking away priviledges, "time outs", etc. Get creative with it but keep it safe. How old is your kiddo?

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Thanks for your answer AvasMommy810....I really appreciate it. The deal is, I live with my mother-in-law and she gets pissed off when I pop my daughter on the hand or butt (even if it's gently). My M.I.L. throws a fit about it and tells me I'm a bad mother and my child is too young to know the difference. But what I say to her is, how will she ever learn if she isn't disciplined for her wrong doing?
    AvaMariesMomma

Answer by AvaMariesMomma at 6:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would tell her that it's YOUR kid. Who cares if she (MIL) likes it or not? I lived with my MIL during my husband's first 16 month deployment also but that was five years ago and I didn't have any kids then.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree with the fact that your M.I.L. needs to butt out. I have been there done that. I have invested a whole doller in a spray bottle and I use it on my 16 monyh old nephew along with my kids. When they throw fits or dont do what i say I squirt them with water and for the most part it works. I also give a firm no with it. As for the biting I always popped mine in the mouth and told them no that hurt and they quit fairly easily. I was always told to bite them back but I could never do that I felt that only incouraged them to bite when someone hurt them. I also talked with my dr about that and he said kids that age bite as a defense mechanism. They are born with it just like wild animals are born with there instincts. He just said patience and persistance. If they are biting an older sibling you need to tell them no and relocate them to something else.
    jrsmith27

Answer by jrsmith27 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Our son is almost 1 and we started putting him in time outs at 10 months..
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 11:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2008