Tantrums?

okay my daughter is 1 and 5 months, she gets these really bad fits where she starts screaming and throwing herself and everything and everyone and falls on the floor crying...I first thougth there was something wrong, but now i realize it's because she doesnt get what she wants, now how do i stop them..I need to know what works best for you guys>

OrielaB22

Asked by OrielaB22 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pick a "time out" spot. It can be a chair, a corner, or a mat in the middle of the floor. Just pick a spot. When she throws a fit, take her to her spot and leave her there. Stay nearby and make sure she stays on the spot. BUT don't say a word to her. Pretend to write a shopping list or read a book.
    When she calms down - COMPLETELY - pick her up and say three short sentences like this...
    I know you were angry when I took the scissors away. Scissors can hurt you. Let's find something fun to play with.
    This lets her know you understand, gives her a word for what she was feeling, tells her why she couldn't do whatever it was, and rewards her calm behavior with a few minutes of your time and attention when you find the new thing to play with.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008