What is the point of a bread box?

I was wondering if it was worth it to purchase a bread box. Just curious as to what the point of them is.

KUmomma

Asked by KUmomma at 6:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Home & Garden

• i've never used one, neither did my mom or grandma. i've heard that keeping bread in a dark spot (cabinet, bread box) makes the bread go old faster and encourages mold.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• To keep the bugs out?
    sherry729

Answer by sherry729 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• To keep our bread fresh we freeze it in the bag it came in plus a freezer bag (we now buy the super big ones, so we can store two in one bag and reuse them. We used to use to plastic grocery bags - one at each end. My mom just throws the bread in the freezer as is. We found that leaving them in a ziploc bag along with the bag it comes in keeps it from molding as quickly.

My gram uses a tupperware bread box.

here is a link on different opinions of bread boxes and why and when to use them and which kind....i'm sure there are other links as well. i just typed in google "why use a bread box"

http://jdorganizer.blogspot.com/2007/11/bigger-than-which-bread-box.html
    LorNSamsMom

Answer by LorNSamsMom at 11:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• They were created to keep varmits out of the bread, you know like mice and other things. Today though it's more for decoration, a place to keep your bread and bakery goods out of sight.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• To store bread. I use mine to store snacks. Bread goes in the fridge or freezer to keep longer.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 11:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i keep my bread in the bread box simply so my cat doesnt eat it. it doesnt have time to mold or go stale at my house... but my cat sure will eat through plastic to get it!
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 2:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• oh and i think nowadays it really serves no purpose except for decoration
    devonsmom

• My mom and grandma both used metal bread boxes. They told me that metal or tin keeps crackers & chips crisper and it keeps bread fresher. I have an old white cupboard in my kitchen that has a pull-out "metal" bread drawer in it. I have used this for years and find that bread stays several weeks longer in the metal bread drawer than if it was in any other air tight contain, such as tupperware.
    legalady4

Answer by legalady4 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2010