How do you treat a 2 year old with possible allergies?

I think my 2 1/2 year old son has seasonal allergies. His nose is constantly running. He whines and rubs his nose and eyes a lot. His cheeks, nose and lips are getting red from him rubbing his nose on his shirt. Just wondering if its worth it to take to Dr. or if there isn't much that can be done at this age.

KUmomma

Asked by KUmomma at 6:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take him to the doctor, my daughter (2 1/2) was the same way this year. Her doctor put her on Childrens Claritin and she has been doing great since.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 6:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my son takes benadryl... becareful though it knocks their lil but out!!... it does mine anyways... and knocks out DH...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We give Lor claritin nearly once a day. recommend mornings, as it kept her up all night when we gave it to her then. The ENT gave her nasonex too. that we use when they are really bad. Basically, if I wake up feeling like crap (allergy-wise) then i know she is too (since she can't tell me) and then I give her the claritin.

Now, keep in mind that I did have allergy testing done on Lorelei and know that she has very similar environmental allergies to me.

If it is making him miserable, I would just try to give him the claritin. they make liquid and chewable. I believe the chewable is 2 and up and is grape flavored. The liquid comes in a generic. Otherwise, take him in to make sure it isn't something else. I would be happy to recommend our ENT, he is also an allergy specialist.
    LorNSamsMom

Answer by LorNSamsMom at 11:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008