..another question made me curious to ask this...(the question about the mom being upset about finding out her son was gay)

I'm wondering how many moms sexualize things for their young children? What i mean by that is...do you say stuff like "oh..hannah montanna is so pretty" "which girl do you like or boy"

have you ever "pushed" your kids..ya know? not for fear that they may be gay..not that we fear that or dwell on that but just to get them interested in the opposite sex?

Do you think it would make a difference in a child being gay?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I guess we all do it to our children to a certain extent. I don't think it affects the child being gay or not.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 7:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm going to say that for the first part of your question...I have no idea.

For your last question on if I think it would make a difference in the child being gay....I don't think so. It is my belief that being gay is not a choice, it's simply the way the child was born. Asking questions like that aren't going to change the fact that the child is born straight or gay...in my opinion...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 7:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I dont think you can "make someone gay". You are what you are. I desire the opposite sex. Even if my parents would have bombarded me with ques about pretty girls/women, my true desires are still there. In fact, I have no problems saying a woman is pretty. That doesnt change the core of who I am.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't think it makes a difference, although I've done what you're describing. Teasing little boys about girlfriends, etc. Its not mean spirited but I think its done by enough people, even when its not blatantly obvious, that its not a cause or prevention of someone being homosexual. They are who they are, end of story. The only thing I could see it doing is keeping a child from saying anything about how they feel because they're old enough they're worried about disappointing their parent(s).
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Of course it doesn't make a difference. If your kids Gay, they are Gay... You don't make them gay or not... Personally, my boys are exposed to "sex" more than most at their ages, we don't see a reason to censor anything beyond Porn... Sexuality is natural and healthy and we want them to see it that way. But we also don't do gender specific anything. My son wants his nails painted, I paint them... They want to play ball they do... They watch Hanna Montana and Scooby Doo... They dress up in purses and heals and as pirates... Whatever they are happy doing, I don't discourage. Nor do I encourage "gender specific" activities or thinking... If my kids are Gay, SO WHAT... If they aren't, SO WHAT? As long as they are healthy & happy, I don't really care about the rest...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• In my opinion, If my child came to me and told me they were gay, I would be happy as long as they were happy. There are too many people in this world who believe gay is wrong. It is not...It is not a choice either. People are attracted to what they are attracted to. That cannot be helped. The same goes for interracial relationships. My father always told me, if I brought home a "black boy" I was going to be disowned. I have told my husband that if my son or daughter brought home anyone else who wasn't white or opposite sex, that's okay as long as they treated my child with respect and made them happy. With that being said, I do not want my kids to bring home what I call a thug....someone into drugs or gangs.

I will never push my child to be something or someone they are not. They can choose who they want and what they want. I love my children unconditionally. Some parent's still do not know what that means.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:37 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• wow, this is the most bizarre political correct question ive seen for a while.

I dont think you can "make" someone gay or straight. There is nothing wrong with saying "that girl is pretty" it doesnt mean you are forcing your son or daughter to become attracted to someone, its stating an opinion.
    gtwerd

Answer by gtwerd at 7:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• what i mean by make a difference in them being gay..is..do you think you could push them in a different direction by pushing a certain sex on them? I guess it would be brainwashing.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• hmmm...is our country brainwashed?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• kinda like people pushing religion on you...anybody, get where i'm going?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010