Shopping with a 17mth old,?

Okay i hate having to go to the store with my daughter and without my husband but since he is military and has to be gone alot i have too, so how do i deal with her screaming for something in the store, i usually ignore it but i was wondering if there was a better way to do this? any thoughts?

OrielaB22

Asked by OrielaB22 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bring a fun toy, sippy cup, and snax.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Have her something special that she can only have when you shop. A favorite toy, something like the above poster said a sippy cup only for shopping days.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yep - bring a toy, a drink, a snack. Don't give them to her all at once though. Dole them out as she gets fussy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• okay, that kind of stuff doesn't work for my son...wonder if anything else works...my son FLIPS out.
    PhatMommy

Answer by PhatMommy at 7:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• In the grocery store, I try to go at a time of day when I know my 17 month old will not be fussy. I found that if I wear her in the carrier it is easier to keep her restrained and happy, but she is almost getting too big for that.
    Catherinew

Answer by Catherinew at 7:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• what i did with my son is if he was good through the store then he got to pick something after i got everything i needed.... i would pick 2 things off the shelf... it could be anything from an apple or and orange to two different toys and i would let him pick which one he wanted... now hes an angel and everyone flocks to him when we go out... i get told all the time hes such a good baby.... it didnt work instantly but after a couple of times i could see the results.. and when he was bad not only did he not get anything at the store he sat in time out when we got home untill i put everything away... which is horrible for him because he likes to help put the groceries away... hope that helps
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i second the previous suggestions of bring a toy, drink & snack. also, i find if i'm shopping somewhere that doesn't have carts, i MUST have a stroller or something to keep him somewhat contained.

i also try to make sure he's actively involved in the shopping. if we're in the grocery store, i talk to him about what we're getting, if there's a choice, i ask him to make it, i sing songs, and pretty much make a fool of myself. if we're clothes shopping or whatever, i still involve him, so i'm not just dragging him along with me, but its actually something fun for him to participate in.

but there have been times when he's gone past his limit. and you really have to be prepared to just jump ship. if he's being a terror, its time to go home, even if you don't accomplish your shopping.
    sunnykate

Answer by sunnykate at 11:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008