Midwives and natural birth

What are your views on natural birth, midwives and homebirth? Why are women so afraid to give birth naturally when it is the most natural thing we were created for?

naturalhome

Asked by naturalhome at 6:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• A natural birth just wasn't for me. Not because I can't handle pain. In fact, I'm one of the few people that would describe labor as the best time in the world. I didn't get pain meds until I was at 6.5 cm and the reason I did get it was because I had been up for 24 hours and my blood pressure and heart rate needed to come down. I'm glad I did get meds and if I have more children I will do it the same way. Why be in pain if you don't have to be? Last I checked we don't live on the frontier anymore and having babies in our homes. That's why........
    Anonymous

• I had my son at home. I understand and believe there is a time and place for medical help and doctors...its not meant to be offensive or judgemental. I was just curious what others thought about the subject.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 6:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would love to be able to have a natural birth, in a hosptial, beacause I also like the idea of haveing a doctor there in case there are complications. I think natural birth is just beautiful.
    Zoeybug

Answer by Zoeybug at 6:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i dont know about natural birth i had pain meds with all of mine.The last wasnt a choice(c-section).But the ob im about to go has mostly midwives that see you but you still deliver at the hospital and get pain meds.I havent been yet but everyone says they are great!
    Anonymous

• Hurray for natural birth. It makes me sad to know much of the birth process is medicated, when it should not be. I had a home birth with a midwife. I witnessed a hospital birth a few months later, and it looked very scary. Midwives are equipped with more emergency equipment than people think.

I had one homebirth (2006) and will have another one next year. I was also inspired to do a Masters program at U. Florida for Midwifery.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'd love to have a natural birth in a birthing center. So We will see! Water birth possibly.
    Hubby and I are both on the fence about a home birth because of the what-ifs. So if I can get it in a hospital birthing center, hopefully it'll go the way I plan.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 10:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i commend natural births i just couldnt do it, it hurt too much, now for my youngest, i probaly couldve of made it bc he just kind of literally popped out after 3 pushes now my oldest, nope because i had to have an episiotomy bc i couldnt push his head out, now that was pain
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2008