I have teenagers and they are just so rebelious. I am at a point where I just want to cry. I clean and they dirty. I am tired from work and when I get home I want to relax but I cant

mariavt

Asked by mariavt at 6:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Do yourself a favor and put all the dirty stuff they dirty in their room! Pile it up. Let them sleep in it. Oh, trust me they will clean it up or put their stuff in the trash if it's out of their room. I'm serious.

In Love and Truth :)
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You are not alone. I finally tied money into the house. As in... you know that dance you want money for this weekend? ,,, wow, you still haven't picked up your 5 pairs of shoes in the living room floor!
    or how about this one... You want to wear those certain jeans when you take that hot little chickadee to the show... man, too bad you don't have any clean cloths. What no time before you have to leave for school? Man, that sucks! Oh, well... you don't have maney anyways. Huh? You were gonna ask me for $20? Hmmmm, afraid not. I had to work too hard to earn that money and then I had to come home and clean up the toilet where you missed the mark this morning. I'm nopt really feeling the love right now.
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 9:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I have three teenage boys myself. All the above answers work. Give them chores to accomplish everyday, post them somewhere so they know what is expected. You should not have to do all the work by yourself. If their chores are completed and their attitude is respectful then they earn the right to go out with friends, see a movie, borrow the car whatever it is they want to do. When their chores and attitude are not in check then they do not have the right to do anything. I know these (including the answers from above) work with very rebellious teenages as long as you can be consistant and strong. I worked with foster children that were from the toughest backgrounds and my foster parents used these methods. These kids went from very disrespectful and unruly teens to very respectful and helpful. The key is consistency, lay down the rules and NEVER sway from them...EVER. Good Luck and be STRONG!!!! It will work!
    KrysH75

Answer by KrysH75 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i agree with her. KrysH75. "The key is consistency, lay down the rules and NEVER sway from them...EVER. Good Luck and be STRONG!!!! It will work." if you dont have rules and keep them it will saught as weakness. they might act like they hate your guts now, but they will love you later for it.
    MaVie

Answer by MaVie at 12:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Rules, consistancy and consequences....my children start doing their own laundry on a specific day when they are 10....if they don't use the washer on their day(there are 7 people in our home) they can go to the laundy mat to do their wash with their own money or wash something they need by hand and hang it outside...I close the doors to their rooms and don't worry about the rooms and they finally got around to keeping them clean on their own. If they don't do the household chores, they don't get to leave until the chores are done....no exceptions.....ever....because the minute I give in to one I will have 4 others going"But you let....get away with it"...
    malam

Answer by malam at 5:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I totally agree with the other posters.....you gotta take the control back momma! When did you sign up to be your half grown children's slave?
    Anonymous

• I would tell them that you are taking some time off because you feel that they are not doing their part to help. Don't do ANYTHING for them. Don't cook, don't clean, don't take them places, don't give them anything (especially money) etc. See how long it takes for them to realize just how much you do.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 12:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2008