Baptism?

I have a friend who I met 18 months ago who's life was headed nowhere fast. I took her under my wing told her about Jesus even provided her with a safe place to live for awhile and she gave her life to Christ. Over time the church we attended became abusive and is now a cult. We walked out of the church around the same time and I into my bible and her back to a life of sin. The last month we have been hanging out more and I have seen God pulling at her daily and I have seen changes back to the young woman who had a strong love for Christ. The other night she came over at 11 at nigth with some very desperate questions about God. Today she has asked me if I will baptize her. I've been baptized myself and have served God whole heartedly for almost two years now. My question is, can someone who is not a pastor or priest baptize someone? cont...

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Some might not agree with me but this was the great comission given by Jesus: Mat 28:19
    Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

No where does it say it had to be a pastor or elder... I say you can... and there's the scripture to use.

It makes me sad when I hear of people who are wounded in church... I'm glad you stayed with God and that your friend returned. Praying you find a church home with the right fit.

If you do decide to baptize.. would like to know how it goes.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I take baptsim very seriously and do not want to do anything that isnt in line with the word of God. I told her I need to pray about it first. And obviously I'm going to do a lot more praying. But, to you Christians out there, what do you think? (btw neither of us have home churches yet, been looking but haven't found the right fit)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would personally advise that she go to a priest or minister. Yes, a layperson can baptise in dire circumstances (on the brink of death, no ordained clergy available, etc), but the Great Commission was set before the Apostles, not all the believers at the time. There were many people who believed in Christ, but only the 12 were sent out. Christ gave those 12 the authority to do what they did. Our witness is our life, and how we live each and every day. To us, baptism is a Sacrament, and should be treated as such. It's a serious business, and not to be treated lightly. I'm not saying that you are, sweetie, not at all. But something like baptism needs to have the full authority of the Church behind it.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 7:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You're correct but he sent them out to make disciples of all nations. We are also to follow the great comission and I do not believe that if a layperson is doing the baptizing it is taken lightly. Also, they currently do not have a church and if her friend is wanting to be baptized then she should do it... there is nothing in the bible that says it has to be done only by a pastor or in a church. As a matter of fact during the bible times it was done in a river. Also, there are times in the bible when it talked about people being baptized it does not say who baptized them... there are times when it was the disciples and other times it just says they were baptized.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• humaniterian87: you put your answer in your question. You don't want to do it if isn't in line with the bible. No where in the bible does it say only pastors elders etc can baptize. Use the bible as your final authority.

feel free to PM me... I really would like to know how it goes. Also praying for your friend and that her foundation in Christ grows stronger.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would in no way shape or form feel comfortable baptising someone! I think it should be done by a minister! For the most part in our church the whole church is a part of it!

The reason being is/////when you are baptised it is to show people that jesus is your personal saviour and your not ashamed to follow him.
    abearshug

Answer by abearshug at 9:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• NO, find another church that has given someone the keys to do baptism. you don't hold those keys. she would not be baptised through you.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• is finding a church that simple? she been abused by our previous minister in so many ways. She told me she cant trust clergy right now but depserately wants to be baptized. I shoudl tell her, no go to a church? Have someone you dont know or trust do it?
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You need to seek out another Church. Visit until you feel the Holy Spirit has led you were you need to be. Baptism is a serious matter and a doctrinal issue and ordiance of the local church. I totally agree with Redteux above. Baptism is symbloic of Christ Death, Burial and Resurrection. Baptisim doesn't save you; it shows others are you saved and identifies you with Christ and you then become a member of that local body of believers.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• im just a litle confused that the only reply that came with scripture to back up the answer was "yes baptize her" I am also confused as to why that peice of paper ordaining someone to be a minitser is so huge. Our previous minister was ordained and look at what he did to us... I understand how vital a home church is for us. We have searched high and low and are now branching out of our 60 mile radius, but this is a very dark area spiritually and jumping in to a home church is just as irresponsible as jumping in to being baptized.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2008