NOSE BLEEDS

MY ALMOST 3YRS OLD GET'S NOSE BLEED BUT MORE IN THE WINTER TIME ESPECIALLY IN THE MORNINGS, I READ UP ON IT FOR TODDLERS AND I EVEN BOUGHT A $200 HUMIDIFIER. I GET HIM UP TO CLEAN HIS NOSE AND HE ONLY BLEEDS FOR A FEW MINUTES OR LESS.I DID TAKE HIM TO HIS DOC AND SHE TOLD ME AS LONG AS HE IS NOT BLEEDING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME THEN ITS OK, BUT IF IT STARTS LOOKING CRAZY AND HE HASNT STOP FOR A WHILE THEN TAKE HIM TO THE E.R, MY MOTHER TOLD ME I USE TO BE THE SAME WHEN I WAS YOUNG SO I GUESS HE GETS IT FROM ME! THE ROOM HE SLEEPS IN THE AIR IS DRY I THINK BUT THATS WHY I GOT THE HUMIDIFIER ....DOES ANYBODYS TODDLER GET THE SAME THING AND WHAT DO YOU DO??
THANKS

parkslope

Asked by parkslope at 6:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • My son started getting them when he was about 2 he's now 5. My husband got them when he was a child too. My son knows that when it happens to get a tissue and hold his nose up till it stops. I will then take a q-tip with a little neosporin on it and dap it in his nose to help it heal. It's a pain but you learn to deal with it.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 7:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My daughter had nose bleeds when she was a toddler. For the winter, I applied vaseline in her nasal passages w/a q-tip, saline moisturizing nose spray along w/the humidifier. Do this on a regular basis to keep her nasal passages from getting dry and irritated. For the summer time I make sure she takes a bottle of cold water to school, watch to see if her head gets hot & cool it down w/cold water, have her drink more often & take extra clothes to school. She is now 8 & occasionally has nose bleeds & the Dr. says she may need to have her vessel cauterized (when they burn a vessel in her nose area). If it gets worse. Also make sure your child is not picking her nose alot and does not have a bleeding disorder. Be sure to check often w/ the Pediatric to ensure that everything is ok. Hope this helps :)
    bigmofam808

Answer by bigmofam808 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• nose bleeds happen.... the only thing you really can do is try to keep the air from getting dry.. but dont teach them to tilt their head up.. this is one of the most common mistakes... by tilting your head up the blood pools.. not only in your nose but in your head and can cause the nose bleeds to get worse or even cause problems in your brain... if you dont have a nose pincher in your first aid kit then tillt the head down to prevent the pooling...... it still stops the bleeding but prevents the pooling after the nose bleed has stopped clean out the passages... hope that helps
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008