My dd is 23 mths and has croup (sp?) please answer

She started her seal like barking last night and I called pediatrician because it alarmed me. She said that is a very distinct cough and said she has croup. She continued cough all night and morning but that has topped and now she's totally her normal self except that she has been drooling today. I called pedi again and asked about this and she said this is always part of croup. If it gets worse as in wheezing or a fever to take her in but for now there is not much we can do. What is your experience with croup?? This is my first time and I'm not sure what is suppose to happen completely but it worries me abut. I also know at night it will get bad again, I was told. What advice do u have?

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 7:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son used to get croup often when he was younger. to help with the cough you can take her out into the cool night air, just wrap a blanket around her so she doesnt get cold and sit there for about 10 minutes...or you can take her into the bathroom and shut the door, turn the shower on hot and sit by the tub while the shower steams up the the bathroom, the warm moist air can help her breathe. If she does start to sound wheezy she may need an albuterol treatment from the dr. Elevate her mattress at the head if you can (i used to put a couple of pillows under the mattress in the baby bed so that his head was up higher. You can also use a cool mist humidifier. The sound made in the cough comes from the airways being swollen. Croup is just as contagious as the common cold so be careful, especially if you have other children. Usually croup goes away on its own without much incident after a few days. But if your dd is having ....
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• breathing or you are concerned about her condition you should get her checked out right away. I hope your dd is feeling better soon and you are both able to get some sleep.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• An old scottish remedy involves wrapping a piece of raw bacon around the child's neck, wrapping them in a blanket and taking them into a steamy bathroom for a few minutes to ease the cough. Of course never put raw meat around broken skin because it can cause infection. Yes silly as it sounds,,,,,try it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Foxracing it right on!! My oldest used to get croup a lot!!
    However, the cool night air thing didn't seem to work for him, but the shower thing did. I also used a cool mist humidifer in his room.
    I know it is worrisome, hang in there!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Forget the bacon. Just turn on the hot water, take the child in the room and sit for a while. It should work. If it doesn't and it's cool outside, make sure the child is warm, but go outside and walk around for a while. *it has to be cool out, warm weather won't work.

If it continues to get bad, take child to ER or call 911. Croup shouldn't last very long, and if it does the child may need steroids. Also, if they are croupy during the day, they might need steroids. That's what happened to my son, he was around 2. Doc said daytime croupy cough is not normal and we had to go in.

You might put a humidifier in the room to prevent any attacks as well. At least make them less severe.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I had to take my 21 month old to the urgent care with those symptoms and they took him to the ER and we stayed the noght in the hospital. Do not mess around with it if your child is wheezing!!!!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 10:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Our experience with it was not fun. He was on nebulizer treatments round the clock every 4 hours, on oral steroids and double upped on his steroids through his neb. But my son has lung issues despite this so colds and things like coup are 100 times worse than "normal." Howp your child gets better and soon.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 11:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• get a humidifier
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• Get a humidifier for her room when she sleeps.

The shower then cold air is great. I've used it on myself (I get horrible coughing fits when I have a cold.) It didn't work for our youngest, mostly because the one time he had croup it was still warm at night. Instead we had him drink a little bit of ice cold water. It helped a lot. This kid also had the stridor thing you read about. We had no idea of how bad it was until the doc told us (third kid and only one to get croup.)

Hope she feels better soon.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2010